Help Me Name My Fish!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Snuggly_Duckling

Reaction score
Hello! I'm new here, was wondering if anyone might have any name suggestions for a pair of Tigger Barbs? I run a Tropical tank, as well as Betta and Snail tanks, as a hobby! My 4yo daughter loves helping with the tanks and picking out fish! She picked out a couple of Tigger Barbs today! We love coming up with names for our Fishy Friends however being 4 she isn't the best at picking out names, and I seem to be out of ideas! We love matching rhyming names when we have more than one, so please help us name our two new friends!
Thanks in advance!

EDIT:
I'm so new, I don't know where exactly to respond or post an update. Thank you all for the very useful and helpful information!
I admit I wasn't well informed on them, as it was a spur of the moment purchased. So thank you all for the advice and info, I'm so glad I joined this forum.
I dived into some research lastnight, and found that the minimum barbs should be at least 6, so I went back today and got 4 more, 2 of which are green tiger barbs. (I asked and was assured they'd still group up with the others.) Immediately when I put them in they all gathered with the two from yesterday and are sticking close together. Honestly they are much more enjoyable to watch them all swim around together, more eye catching as well in a bigger group.
I do know that 6 is still not really the ideal amount, but for me to grow their group any more, would take a little time, all I could afford was 4 more today. So now I need 4 more names besides Tigger and Lynx lol
I did want to note, that I did observe them all closely all day yesterday and lastnight. I don't know if it's because they are so small, because they are new, or what, but last night they were keeping together, and they'd be around others but not messing with anyone, even at feeding times, I didn't see any nipping. I decided I didn't want to risk it, and took the advice of everyone here, and got some more, so happy that I did. Also I did do my research on tank mates to determine if I should just return them or buy more. I opted to buy more. Thank you all for the advice. I definitely needed it!

Last edited:
How about Dead and Meat? Sorry, I don't mean to be awful, just my sick sense of humour! Unfortunately tiger barbs need to live in a big group otherwise one will kill the other over dominance, they can be very aggressive...

What is your tank size? Unfortunately these fish need to be in a school of 10 or more otherwise they will chase and kill eachother...

How about Dead and Meat? Sorry, I don't mean to be awful, just my sick sense of humour! Unfortunately tiger barbs need to live in a big group otherwise one will kill the other over dominance, they can be very aggressive...
What is your tank size? Unfortunately these fish need to be in a school of 10 or more otherwise they will chase and kill eachother...

Sorry to dampen your enthusiasm but I have to echo the above posts. I don’t know your tank size, but it’d have to be 40 gallons or more to accommodate the amount of tiger barbs that would be a successful grouping.

I get you want to name them, but for you and your 4 year old, and of course the fish, you may want to return them or add more if you have the tank space. Probably worse to see fish die once named.

Sorry to dampen your enthusiasm but I have to echo the above posts. I don’t know your tank size, but it’d have to be 40 gallons or more to accommodate the amount of tiger barbs that would be a successful grouping.

I get you want to name them, but for you and your 4 year old, and of course the fish, you may want to return them or add more if you have the tank space. Probably worse to see fish die once named.
I didn't realize, I will get some more, it's a 50 gallon tank, so can definitely hold a few more. Thank you

Hello! I'm new here, was wondering if anyone might have any name suggestions for a pair of Tigger Barbs? I run a Tropical tank, as well as Betta and Snail tanks, as a hobby! My 4yo daughter loves helping with the tanks and picking out fish! She picked out a couple of Tigger Barbs today! We love coming up with names for our Fishy Friends however being 4 she isn't the best at picking out names, and I seem to be out of ideas! We love matching rhyming names when we have more than one, so please help us name our two new friends!

Thanks in

I'm so new, I don't know where exactly to respond or post a sorta update, thank you all for the information, I admit I wasn't well informed on them, it was a spur of the moment purchased. So thank you all for the advice and info, I'm so glad I joined this forum. I dived into some research lastnight, and found that the minimum barbs should be 6, I went back today and got 4 more, 2 of which are green tiger barbs. I asked and was assured they'd still group up with the others. Immediately when I put them in they all gathered with the two from yesterday and are sticking close together. Honestly they are much more enjoyable to watch them all swim around together. So now I need 4 more names besides Tigger and Lynx lol
I did want to note, that I did observe them all closely all day yesterday and lastnight. I don't know if it's because they are so small, because they are new, or what, but last night they were keeping together, and they'd be around others but not messing with anyone, even at feeding times. I decided I didn't want to risk it, and took the advice of everyone here, and got some more, so happy that I did. Also I did do my research on tank mates to determine if I should return them or buy more. I opted to buy more. Thank you all for the advice. I definitely needed it!

Glad you got it sorted, nothing worse than witnessing a blood bath! Not to be dramatic but tiger barbs are brutal 🥴

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back