Help, Emergency!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FishGuest5123

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I just accidentally used Melafix instead of Stress Coat on my white betta. It was an overdosed amount as I was going by Stress Coat amount. I noticed my betta kind of flinched when I poured it into his tank. After about 5 minutes, I realized what I did. I immediately scooped him into a bucket of dechlorinated tap water and drained the tank 3 times. He seems ok but any other suggestions?

Glad you caught it early. 5 minutes of exposure to melafix most likely won't be an issue. Since you've already done large water changes, the only thing you can do now is watch and wait. My guess is he will be just fine.

Last edited:
I just accidentally used Melafix instead of Stress Coat on my white betta. It was an overdosed amount as I was going by Stress Coat amount. I noticed my betta kind of flinched when I poured it into his tank. After about 5 minutes, I realized what I did. I immediately scooped him into a bucket of dechlorinated tap water and drained the tank 3 times. He seems ok but any other suggestions?
Oh no!!!
I'm not quite sure what Melafix is, (medicine?), but I do know what flinching is.
Other suggestions:
Pray to the diety of your choice.
(Maybe Neptune/Poseidon? Kinda ornery fellow, also salty. I would plead to the Naiads).
~V

Glad you caught it early. 5 minutes of exposure to melafix most likely won't be an issue. Since you've already done large water changes, the only thing you can do now is watch and wait. My guess is he will be just fine.
Thanks, that makes me feel better. I was thinking exposure time was minimal too.

Melafix is an antibacterial and i believe the instructions direct to do a water change a day or two after dosing, so if you overdosed and immediately did multiple water changes i cant imagine there are any lingering negative effects, if anything he will be less likely to get a bacterial infection :)

Melafix is an antibacterial and i believe the instructions direct to do a water change a day or two after dosing, so if you overdosed and immediately did multiple water changes i cant imagine there are any lingering negative effects, if anything he will be less likely to get a bacterial infection :)
Good one!

I'm not quite sure what Melafix is, (medicine?)
It is a herbal medicine (made by API) which contains tea tree oil. It is bad for labyrinth fish as the oil forms a layer on the water stopping them breathing air, and it can get inside the labyrinth organ and damage that.
None of the -fix medications should be used with labyrinth fish - including bettafix, which is dilute melafix to make it easier to dose smaller tanks, or pimafix (for fungal infections) as that contains West Indian bay tree oil.

Also in my opinion, stress coat may not be good for your fish as it contains aloe which I believe may negatively affect efficiency of gills and labyrinth organ. Seachem prime is better for dechlorinating water and has the added benefit of neutralizing ammonia and nitrites and has no aloe.

It is a herbal medicine (made by API) which contains tea tree oil. It is bad for labyrinth fish as the oil forms a layer on the water stopping them breathing air, and it can get inside the labyrinth organ and damage that.
None of the -fix medications should be used with labyrinth fish - including bettafix, which is dilute melafix to make it easier to dose smaller tanks, or pimafix (for fungal infections) as that contains West Indian bay tree oil.
I’m aware not to use it but thanks. It was by accident that I grabbed the wrong bottle.

Also in my opinion, stress coat may not be good for your fish as it contains aloe which I believe may negatively affect efficiency of gills and labyrinth organ. Seachem prime is better for dechlorinating water and has the added benefit of neutralizing ammonia and nitrites and has no aloe.
Yes, I am aware of that. However, Dr. Dave, DVM my aquatic research friend has done a study and found Prime actually raises nitrates in some cases. . He recommends Stress Coat. My bettas Tail finally quit rotting when I began using the Stress Coat and it made a firm believer out of me. I have had no ill effects from its use. I do appreciate the info though. :)

Sorry @Deanasue , I should have made it clear - I was intending to explain to vanalisa what melafix is and why you were worried.

Sorry @Deanasue , I should have made it clear - I was intending to explain to vanalisa what melafix is and why you were worried.
Ah! Makes more sense. Lol! I was trying to figure out why you felt I needed to know that since I was so worried. :rofl:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back