Help! Cloudy Brown Water After Adding Substrate

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

MegaZerino

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Earlier today i added a soil type substrae (JBL AquaBasis plus) to my tank. The tank already had cycled water in it that i didnt want to remove so i added the substrate. Then the water turned all brown and cloudy and it is taking forever to clear. I have added sand on top of the soul to stop any more of it being kicked up. I have filter wool in my filter (fluval 105) and the tank is 65litres. Do you have any advice on how i can make the water clear faster. I would like to re add my fish (dwarf gouami, betta, oto) as soon as possible because i dont have a spare tank and at the moment they are only in a bucket with an air stone. thanks

What it looked like before
k.jpg

What it looks like now
j.jpg

I'm no expert but if I were you I would change 1/2 - 3/4 of that water if your fish are in a bucket. Treat the new water and try not to stir anything up while filling. Your filter is probably clogged by now so rinse the media in a bucket of the old water as not to kill too much bacteria. The good stuff is in the filter not the water. The dust would probably settle in a couple days but you probably want to get your fish back in there.

you put it in with the water in the tank??

If so, thats not going to clear anytime soon. Most of it would have dissolved into the water. It's supposed to go in dry, then capped, then water added. I'm afraid you're gonna loose most of the Aquabasis. 100% water change IMO.

Most reactions

Back