Hello

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Great

I bought some of that today but was scared to put it in as instructions seemed to suggest quite a lot.... It said 9g per litre for treating sick fish... Its a 25 litre tank so that works out at 225g over 3 days at 75g a time, does that sound about right to you
Your talking about the quarantine tank is 25 liters right? And that sounds like a good amount of salt.

No, I didn't cycle the tank, literally bought the quarentine tank 3 days ago, the guy in the aquarium shop advised I take the risk without cycling the tank to avoid the rest of my fish getting the fungal infection, I didn't have any spare sponges in my sump..... Like I said, I'm very new to this.

The ammonia and nitrite levels are 0...... Nitrate is 20, PH is 6.4, GH is 8
Welcome to the forum, Natasha

I'm sorry that your foray into fish-keeping has started so badly. You have been given very bad advice from the pet shop.

Cycling a tank really is a must - but that's too late now. Your fish have developed infections because they are stressed - partly through the uncycled tank and also because that seems a lot of fish - even for a tank of that size.

I'm not an expert on fish illness, but I would think you will have to treat the entire tank, and not just the sick fish, though it would probably be worth taking them out them and treating them separately. Hopefully you will get some very good advice here from people who know what they're about.

Wishing you luck - your poor little fish!

Welcome to the forum, Natasha

I'm sorry that your foray into fish-keeping has started so badly. You have been given very bad advice from the pet shop.

Cycling a tank really is a must - but that's too late now. Your fish have developed infections because they are stressed - partly through the uncycled tank and also because that seems a lot of fish - even for a tank of that size.

I'm not an expert on fish illness, but I would think you will have to treat the entire tank, and not just the sick fish, though it would probably be worth taking them out them and treating them separately. Hopefully you will get some very good advice here from people who know what they're about.

Wishing you luck - your poor little fish!
Thank you

I have treated the main display tank with the fungal treatment, even though the other fish aren't showing any signs or symptoms but the seem okay at the moment, fingers crossed, I'm about to do a water change now and add aqualibrium salt to the quarentine tank, hopefully I will have some luck.

Thanks for responding

Great

I bought some of that today but was scared to put it in as instructions seemed to suggest quite a lot.... It said 9g per litre for treating sick fish... Its a 25 litre tank so that works out at 225g over 3 days at 75g a time, does that sound about right to you
Use 1 heaped table spoon for every 10 litres of water. Dissolve it in water before adding to the tank. You don't need to replace the salt except for what you take out during a water change, so if you add 15 litres of water dissolve 1 1/2 tablespoons of salt in it before adding it. Keep the salt at this level for 2 weeks and then do a daily 10% change with fresh water (no salt) for another week.

Since the QT has not been cycled (I assume your main tank is) you should probably do a 15-20 litre water change every day while the fish are in there. Only feed twice a week, about 4 hours before a water change is due.

Use 1 heaped table spoon for every 10 litres of water. Dissolve it in water before adding to the tank. You don't need to replace the salt except for what you take out during a water change, so if you add 15 litres of water dissolve 1 1/2 tablespoons of salt in it before adding it. Keep the salt at this level for 2 weeks and then do a daily 10% change with fresh water (no salt) for another week.

Since the QT has not been cycled (I assume your main tank is) you should probably do a 15-20 litre water change every day while the fish are in there. Only feed twice a week, about 4 hours before a water change is due.
Okay

Thank you, can I just check I understand what you mean, I done a water change of 25% in the QT today and added 75g of aqualibrilum salt, are you saying I should use a heap spoon of table salt instead or as well as the aqualibrilum, also do I add another 75g tomorrow and then the next day or just a heap spoon of table salt.... Sorry if I'm making this more complicated than it needs to be, I'm a complete novice as you can probably tell..... I have also done a 25% water change in my main tank today as I have been doing one every week but I haven't added any salt as the fish in the main tank seem fine at the moment, plus I'm not sure how the clown loaches will deal with the salt so a bit apprehensive about adding it in there when they seem so happy at the moment.

Water perimeters in both tanks are nitrite 0, amonia 0, nitrate 0, PH 7.4

Thank you, can I just check I understand what you mean, I done a water change of 25% in the QT today and added 75g of aqualibrilum salt, are you saying I should use a heap spoon of table salt instead or as well as the aqualibrilum, also do I add another 75g tomorrow and then the next day or just a heap spoon of table salt....
No. I meant if you only use aquarium salt. The normal dosage for treating infections is 1 tablespoon per 10 litres. I only posted that because its an easier way to measure than weighing it.

Interpet's web site does not say what else Aquilibrium contains so just use it according to their instructions. don't mix with any other treatments.

No. I meant if you only use aquarium salt. The normal dosage for treating infections is 1 tablespoon per 10 litres. I only posted that because its an easier way to measure than weighing it.

Interpet's web site does not say what else Aquilibrium contains so just use it according to their instructions. don't mix with any other treatments.
Okay

Thanks for your help

Okay

Thank you, can I just check I understand what you mean, I done a water change of 25% in the QT today and added 75g of aqualibrilum salt, are you saying I should use a heap spoon of table salt instead or as well as the aqualibrilum, also do I add another 75g tomorrow and then the next day or just a heap spoon of table salt.... Sorry if I'm making this more complicated than it needs to be, I'm a complete novice as you can probably tell..... I have also done a 25% water change in my main tank today as I have been doing one every week but I haven't added any salt as the fish in the main tank seem fine at the moment, plus I'm not sure how the clown loaches will deal with the salt so a bit apprehensive about adding it in there when they seem so happy at the moment.

Water perimeters in both tanks are nitrite 0, amonia 0, nitrate 0, PH 7.4
Those are good levels.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back