Hello, from total newbie

RescueNewbie

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Loving this forum and how helpful everyone is, what a great community!

I'm a total newbie. I rescued a tank and some fish (they were in my boyfriends house, and were his ex's that were looked after his old flatmate, who has since left. My boyfriend was just feeding them and turning light and created a a massive alage bloom!)

Both fish and tanks were in a sorry state and so I have since become a bit of a nerd, reading up on everything I can and trying to make a nicer home for the Cory and Neon Tetra that I have saved ( Inc adding new buddies gradually once tank levels are better).

Have just posted into medical emergency forum as the Cory seems to have cotton mouth or infected mouth - appreciate everyone's thoughts.

Determined to create a happier fishes and a better home for them and be a good fish mum! They are hilarious characters, especially the single neon tetra who is as brash as they come!

I was filming the Cory the other day to take footage to aquarium shop to see what is wrong with him, and the neon kept on photo bombing and swimming into shot to get in on the action!

Photos of tank below, it has had a mega plant prune to remove the worst of algae, I have moved a plant from the far right so I can gradually clean the very filthy gravel before removing it completely to put sand down that end for the Cory. Also floating plant and java fern is on its way to help absorb more nutrients and keep the tetra happier.

Love looking at how people have set up their tanks and can't wait to share more of mine as it evolves, trying to convince boyfriend that we need a bigger tank too! Looking forward to seeing Cory playing in sand hopefully very soon and him feeling much better, will be sad if I can't save him as become really fond of the fella.

IMG_20230419_120923.jpg

IMG_20230418_173502.jpg

Welcome to the forum! Glad you stepped in and are helping these little guys out. Hopefully the Cory starts to feel better. But, if not, it will have lived the last leg of its life in a much more comfortable environment.
Good luck!!

Thanks Ellie, have just found out the fella is a loach and not cory, so forum already helping this newbie out! Fingers crossed, going to take them out and do a big tank clean. Lesser evil than all the crap in the bottom gravel creating horrible levels. Wish me luck catching them, hope they survive a thrive afterwards!

Hi all, I have set up a YouTube channel to introduce you to the adventures of Fish (Loach) and Chips (Neon Tetra) as their home and life gradually improves and expands.

Do people usually name their fish? I was told I had to name them and that was my immediate jokey response, which then seems to have stuck!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! Glad you stepped in and are helping these little guys out. Hopefully the Cory starts to feel better. But, if not, it will have lived the last leg of its life in a much more comfortable environment.
Good luck!!
Hi Ellie, thanks for your kind welcome and words.

Pleased to report that after a few nervous moments they seem to be much happier and that the tank looks much better, it seems it now just needs to fully cycle and I watch amonia levels in the meantime and then we should be though the woods. Alage is getting much better too 🤞

Hi Ellie, thanks for your kind welcome and words.

Pleased to report that after a few nervous moments they seem to be much happier and that the tank looks much better, it seems it now just needs to fully cycle and I watch amonia levels in the meantime and then we should be though the woods. Alage is getting much better too 🤞

Yay!!! Seems your hard work has paid off

Most reactions

Back