Have To Fish In Cycle

cambojnr

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Even though I have tried to find ammonia to no avail, and no store will sell our give me any used media, I am having to resort to a fish in cycle.

The tank is 125l with a tetra tec ex700 filter, so I was just wondering what would be the most hardy fish to cycle the tank with?, I was thinking a betta which will then be moved in to its own tank once this one is cycled, but do not imagine it will produce enough waste to get started, our maybe like 5 feeder guppies which will be taken back to the store once cycled?

You can still fishless cycle.

Get a prawn, stick it in a bucket (outside or in a shed/garage if you can!) and use that water, added to your tank, as your ammonia source :)

cambojnr said:
Even though I have tried to find ammonia to no avail, and no store will sell our give me any used media, I am having to resort to a fish in cycle.

The tank is 125l with a tetra tec ex700 filter, so I was just wondering what would be the most hardy fish to cycle the tank with?, I was thinking a betta which will then be moved in to its own tank once this one is cycled, but do not imagine it will produce enough waste to get started, our maybe like 5 feeder guppies which will be taken back to the store once cycled?
What part of Oz do you live in?

I live on the Gold Coast, and bunnings did not seem to have anything with out soap

I was hoping you'd be close by. I'd give ya some media from my tanks. :(

I cycle with fish, only once i didnt (big story to that lol, many dont like to hear it), so havent needed to get my hands on an outside ammonia source

If you really must cycle with fish, I would suggest that you Do some additional research into the subject.

- Learn about what makes ammonia toxic and how much and for how long different fish can tolerate it. You should know the difference between NH3 which is highly toxic vs NH4 which is much much less so. This will help minimize water changes and make the cycling move the fastest while keeping the fish safe.
- Learn the signs of ammonia poisoning or burns in case tour test kit readings are off you will be able to take your cues from how the fish et. if it is contrary to the test readings
- Learn how nitrite causes harm and how to block its effects using chloride rather than lots of massive water changes.
- Learn what stocking level with which to start and how over time how gradually to increase the stocking.

I'm in Brisbane. I'd love to help you out rather than put any fish through a fish-in cycle.
Not only that I have some ammonia left from my fishless cycle that I'm willing to donate.

Gruntle said:
I'm in Brisbane. I'd love to help you out rather than put any fish through a fish-in cycle.
Not only that I have some ammonia left from my fishless cycle that I'm willing to donate.
thank you very much, but while I was unpacking the garage box from the uk, I found the old bottle that I thought we threw away, so I am now doing a fish less cycle and on only on day 2 as added the ammonia on Sunday, so now am just settling in for the long month ahead. Thank you for the kind offer though, just trying to persuade a family members friend to give me some of Their media, but they do not understand the whole nitrogen cycle when I tried to explain it to them, as he was reluctant as he had just cleaned his cichlid tank on Thursday.

Best of luck, keep posting any questions, we'll be happy to help you through.

Little confused as I only strarted on Sunday but I have tested today on day 4 and my ammonia has went from 3ppm to 1ppm but I also have a reading of 0ppm nitrites, the only thing I can think of is I added a bottle of nutrafin cycle which I thought would do nothing a I have had it a year stored in my fish box, our could it be my filter media as apparently it has traces of all the right stuff for bacteria to grow on, it's pond gurus k media stuff, can't remember which one. Also got a nitrate reading if 10ppm.

Added ammonia again to get it back to 3ppm, so will test again on Sunday and post results. Might be a quick cycle hopefully.

Just make sure you're following the fishless cycle recipe. Sounds like you might have had success with the bottled nutrafin cycle, they are very hit and miss though.

Hopefully, I only put it in to get rid of it since I've had it nearly a year.

Ok, so I tested today on day 8 and have an ammonia reading of 1.5ppm and nitrite of what looks like 3ppm, and whenever my ammonia has been below 3 ppm I have just redosed it back up to three, as I had been getting a reading of no nitrite for the last few days, but now I so have nitrite I need to wait for the ammonia to go below 0.75 ppm, Am I right in thinking that?

Most reactions

Back