Have anyone elses fish got trapped in juwel bioflow filters?

Neptune_the_Betta

Reaction score
Hi,
Recently at least 4 of my fish died after getting into my juwel bioflow filter, and others were stuck for hours before getting out. They got in because the spaces in the intake grid were too wide.

I've emailed juwel about this but they haven't said that they would do anything about it or even make it clearer that the filter wasn't suitable for small fish without a shrimp guard.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems with the juwel filters, as if so I will email juwel the link to this so they know it's not just me that has faced this issue.

Thank you :)

I don't have a Bioflow Filter but Juwel are already aware - they sell a filter guard for them (for an extra cost of course) to prevent precisely this problem.

Hi,
Recently at least 4 of my fish died after getting into my juwel bioflow filter, and others were stuck for hours before getting out. They got in because the spaces in the intake grid were too wide.

I've emailed juwel about this but they haven't said that they would do anything about it or even make it clearer that the filter wasn't suitable for small fish without a shrimp guard.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems with the juwel filters, as if so I will email juwel the link to this so they know it's not just me that has faced this issue.

Thank you :)
My red cherry shrimp get into the Juwel filter.
Sorry about your fish, what species were they?

I have some really small fish in one of my Juwel tanks - ember tetra, endlers, pygmy cories. I'm not aware of losing any to the filter. But the shrimp must like it in there. I have to rescue a heap of them at every water change.
I lost a little betta to a filter on a different tank ('Lovefish'). It was awful. Still upsetting now. The company had complaints for 7 years and didn't change their design.

The juwell filter guards are pretty good.

The lower one just clips on.

The upper one adjusts sideways in a telescopic manner so it fits the different bioflow sizes, and secures in place with two clips that go inside the filter box. One issue is you have to remove the clips from inside to withdraw the filter cartridges. See pictures.

16468605387055248137123044263463.jpg
16468605697557286010958721793896.jpg
16468607240981721020082258964528.jpg

Most reactions

Back