Half Banded Spiny Eels

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Straydum

Marine Fever
Reaction score
it's been three days now and the two half banded spiny eels i got still arent really feeding. by really feeding i mean looking around for food but they'd only take the food i put directly at their noses and even so, only a bite or two. they're currently on live tubifex since they wouldnt touch bloodworms, live or frozen.

apart from that they just lie around. in contrast i've seen many other half banded spiny eels being really active. anyone?

you've not had them very long, and spiney eels in particular can take a long time to settle in and feed confidently. i've had fire eels that have taken 3 months to feed confidently! persevre with feeding right near them, but its a good sign that they are feeding at all.

Forget other worms, just try small earthworms.

thanks for the replies.

i do hope they'd settle in as you've said. the smaller of the two just died :sad: showing no signs or infection or whatsoever. i was thinking it was my bichir that caused it but it didnt even bother biting the corpse.

i'd have tried earthworms if i could but they're that big yet to be able to take that. i dont even think bloodworms can fit into their mouths.

I guess I just got lucky with mine...Mine will eat just about anything: Flakes, sinking pellets, bloodworms, mysis/brine shrimp, earthworms. They've always ate well, I'm not sure why either, as everyone I've talked to has had problems with them right off the bat.

Why not try feeding them later in the evening while they're active, turn the aquarium lights out, and just leave the room light on so you can see. Then put a few bits of food in front of them, preferably somewhere with a bit of water flow so the food will move. Thus stimulating them to go for it...hopefully.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back