Hair algae growing on driftwood (only). How to deal...?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

nobo

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've a fair bit of algae on my driftwood, particularly where it's not sheltered from direct light by floating frogbit on the surface (I have about 50-65% surface coverage). There's no algae anywhere else (save for some hairgrass growing around the java moss, also on the driftwood).

I'd dropped the lighting duration in the hope of reducing the algae about a month or more ago, but no joy.

Many thanks in advance for advice.

5 hours full light (florescent T5s in Juwel Rio - bulbs possibly getting a bit old now), plus an hour of dim orange LED light). No direct sunlight.
25'C. DH14. pH c. 7.6.
2.5ml of Seachem Flourish in 125 litre tank once or twice a week. No CO2.

104321528_10157447956420197_2043827198327966419_n.jpg

Provided the algae does not decide to take up residence on the plants, you're OK. When I was battling brush/beard algae it was the plants I used to gage success; all the wood had algae, but that is not a problem and it looks natural. In your situation here, reducing the light period might be all you need, just keep an eye on plant leaves.

Thanks Bryon. I don't really mind the look, and don't have this algae on plants (beyond a bit of hair algae amongst some of the java fern). I'm only on 5 hours of light as it is (plus an hour of a fairly low light orange setting on a multicolour LED). To the extent there are issues with my plants, I've posted in the other forum (possibly BBA on java fern? And/or a nutrient deficiency?) - which I see you've just commented on.

Most reactions

Back