Video Guppy situation

For all those thinking just how truly awful I am, how much effort would it take to safely rehome a guppy?
But no...never mind...

This guppy fry was recently found suffocating and starving to death in an old STAGNANT tank for nearly 2 months. He somehow accidentally got left behind when I gave the girl all my guppies. How he survived this long in a few inches of water in a filthy stagnant tank for this long is beyond me.

I figured he stood a better chance here than left there or put with my Blood Parrot. I also needed to take that tank down for the space so leaving him there was not really an option I wanted to use. I wished I still had the contact info of the girl I gave all the guppies to. She would have taken him.

But I have watched closely. Shion doesn't bother him at all and he doesn't hide much. He doesn't seem to be afraid of Shion. He is a bit thin which is to be expected but I hope he will bounce back.

I do NOT intend to keep the guppy here long term and I do NOT advocate for putting goldfish and guppies together.
I was wholly on-side up to this point and then...
Given time, Shion will probably eventually see the guppy as a snack and eat him. This is a special short term case, but it is interesting to watch them.

Guppies need to be in groups of their own kind and ideally so do goldfish. Shion is a lone goldfish and will stay that way - but the guppy hopefully will find a new home with other guppies. Youtube totally botched the audio....
But hey...it's a lovely video and I'm sure I'm going to get censured for expressing concern about a lone guppy's welfare.

How hard is it to rehome a lone thin guppy fry that is near death in a disgusting stagnant tank... um very hard for me. I had the hardest time rehoming even healthy ADULT guppies. Again clearly you have not followed my threads whatsoever and also clearly you live in a different area than me. I CAN surrender him to the Petco, but not this tiny and thin/weak.

You are viewing things from your perspective and from the way you would be able to handle it. It is easy to be polite too, but clearly not for you. See what I mean? It would be different if I were intentionally harming a fish or if I were killing fish etc, but I'm trying to HELP him with what I have available. Judge all you want, but when you don't know someone's situation... it is actually better NOT TO. The guppy is fine and I am watching them to try to ensure that continues.

To add, everyone who has posted here.... myself included... is concerned about the guppy frys welfare. When you think about that, consider why your reply would be taken the way it was.

expressing concern
Nope, just being rude and bashing a person trying her best to do what she can with what she has. You come across as self righteous sometimes Bruce...we're only human and there has to be allowances for error from time to time 🤷‍♀️

@AdoraBelle Dearheart
What a lovely thread. And I did not see any bashing or negative comments... but clearly she had experienced it because of the way she started the thread. It is obvious she loved her tanks and fish very much and did a LOT for her fish. Very enjoyable thread to view.

Glad you enjoyed :D Yeah, the bashings she took, and the cute videos of her fish were in different threads, some of which are gone now. She has some gorgeous set ups and fish, and very successfully breeds some tricky to raise species, so it's worth checking out any of her old threads that you see! She patiently taught me a great deal. I really miss having her here! But completely understand why she left...

I won't allow negativity to run me off the forum. At the end of the day - someone who knows me and understands my intent will be encouraging to me.

I'm really glad! We've lost too many nice, caring, helpful and bright hobbyists due to these kinds of attacks. I know I would like you to stay!
(also, you need a profile pic!! You've been here long enough to have one ;))

I'm struggling with the concern of the guppy fry. I understand and appreciate that you are doing what you can to save it, any effort in this case is very commendable.

But that said, if it gets eaten, it gets eaten. Big fish eat little fish. Growing up I had a python that ate rats and a savanah monitor that ate mice. My college roommate had 2 oscars and once a week we would go to the pet shop and buy feeder goldfish to feed them. It's not wrong, it's life. We don't bat an eye at the black worms we feed. People get assassin snails to kill other snails, no one complains. Heck, most all of your fish are eating other fish, just read the ingredients on the label. If you want to be wholly concerned for the well being of living creatures, shouldn't it be for ALL living creatures? There has to be a line at some point. I care for my fish and am constantly trying to make improvements for them, but I'm also a realist.

In my opinion, that guppies' life is far better served as nutrients to another than simply being euthanized. (If @mjfromga isn't able to rehome before then, which they appear to be trying to do.)

why is the guppy fry directly in with the goldfish
you could've just filled a plastic container and add an air pump, or drill holes in a container and float it in the goldfish tank so it isn't at risk of being eaten

why is the guppy fry directly in with the goldfish
you could've just filled a plastic container and add an air pump, or drill holes in a container and float it in the goldfish tank so it isn't at risk of being eaten
I have a cat and multiple dogs and also other humans here and sitting a container out in the open is HIGHLY unsafe for any fish. He could easily be plucked from it or it knocked over or jump. I would also have to change water daily as he needs to be here for a few weeks. He definitely stands a better chance in this tank than that option.

I guess I could have used a breeder box, but at the time I found him - I didn't have one. As the fish seemed okay, I didn't think it necessary or helpful. The holes in a container thing is an idea though....

Five days later and the guppy fry is... *drumroll*

OKAY!!!

He is looking much healthier too as you can see. With luck - in another week or so, he will be ready to go. I have been feeding him a LOT as he was very underweight when I found him, and I have been checking on him and he is doing just fine.

Best one yet! My favourite part was ...ahem...

"...GET OFF THAT TABLE!!!" 🤣

Best one yet! My favourite part was ...ahem...

"...GET OFF THAT TABLE!!!" 🤣
That was this BEAST trying to get at breakfast remnants on the table... lol. I heard PAWS on WOOD... a quick MALONE GET OFF THAT TABLE!!! took care of it.
20210922_160711.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back