Guppy Mystery

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

372xp

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My youngest got a female guppy, I put her in my 60ltr tank that hosed 2 male guppys and my female b.splendens sorrority. Before I go on I dont know much about guppys bettas are my speciality. My last 2 female bettas died (age) then I started noticing fry in the tank ( I guess the bettas ate them previously). I seperated the Female guppy int a 45ltr tank, about a month ago she gave birth to another brood. After this I noticed her 'bits' hadnt closed up, whilst unsightly this didnt concern me as she she was acting and feeding normaly. Today after work my wife infomed me she, that is the guppy, was acting stangely. She was swimming sideways and falling to the bottom of the tank and resting on plants. I then noticed she had spawned yet another brood, not as many as before and smaller. She is now dead and I dont know why. Where these babys premature and caused her death?

I had a guppy that had a prolapsed uterus once...she did live though it, though was sterile after, maybe something like this happened?

372xp said:
My youngest got a female guppy, I put her in my 60ltr tank that hosed 2 male guppys and my female b.splendens sorrority. Before I go on I dont know much about guppys bettas are my speciality. My last 2 female bettas died (age) then I started noticing fry in the tank ( I guess the bettas ate them previously). I seperated the Female guppy int a 45ltr tank, about a month ago she gave birth to another brood. After this I noticed her 'bits' hadnt closed up, whilst unsightly this didnt concern me as she she was acting and feeding normaly. Today after work my wife infomed me she, that is the guppy, was acting stangely. She was swimming sideways and falling to the bottom of the tank and resting on plants. I then noticed she had spawned yet another brood, not as many as before and smaller. She is now dead and I dont know why. Where these babys premature and caused her death?
prolly juss her time.. it happens..

5 bucks says somebody axes what your stats are in a post or two..

HAMBONE said:

prolly juss her time.. it happens..

5 bucks says somebody axes what your stats are in a post or two..

haha! :) 10 bucks!

I'll take that bet. Because I will pre-empt anyone myself and say there fine.
Prolapse and age maybe? If I had as many children it would kill me.
What do I do with all the fry? I have 2 tanks of them.

372xp said:
I'll take that bet. Because I will pre-empt anyone myself and say there fine.
Prolapse and age maybe? If I had as many children it would kill me.
What do I do with all the fry? I have 2 tanks of them.
enjoy them, or feed them to a betta...

I got a ten gallon tank a week ago from a lady on cl, she said the mother fish was a guppy and that it got very large, then did a huge live birth and died. She no longer wanted the tank or the baby fish, so I adopted the setup with plans on setting up my 20 gallon and 29 gallon tanks. I salvaged all the water from the tank, which was only half filled, transferred every live fry to a 2 gallon bucket and moved them to my house. After cleaning the tank and returned the settled tank water back and oxygenating the tank over night, I returned and counted all the fry. There were 176 live fry and maybe 10 to 20 dead fry. It has been one week and they have mostly doubled in size, but some are still very tiny, but I have not seen any dead ones in the tank so far. I never got to see the mother fish and am somewhat in doubt that they are guppies, all the babies have forked tails, not rounded.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back