Guppies in distress

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Familyfishny

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
We had 7 guppies two days ago; we lost two yesterday and now two more are on the bottom of the tank. One had white stringy poop last night. I dosed the tank last night with the first of 4 days of antibiotics b/c one of the deceased guppies had fin rot. What should I do for the guppies?

Tank parameters:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5-10
37 gallon tank, 5 guppies 3 corys 1 platy. All with us less than 3 weeks. Tank cycled. Waterfall filter, heater at 78, bubble wall, plant media substrate, live plants.

And now one of them has something red protruding from its anus! Some kind of worm infestation? Everyone in the tank looks stressed.

Attachments

• D5A717A8-0D8D-4C01-A7D4-7DD8745F3381.jpeg
    D5A717A8-0D8D-4C01-A7D4-7DD8745F3381.jpeg
    258.9 KB · Views: 27
Stressed guppies

Attachments

• DE5156BC-85E4-4B0E-94F0-0041C7071BA3.jpeg
    DE5156BC-85E4-4B0E-94F0-0041C7071BA3.jpeg
    242.5 KB · Views: 24
We had 7 guppies two days ago; we lost two yesterday and now two more are on the bottom of the tank. One had white stringy poop last night. I dosed the tank last night with the first of 4 days of antibiotics b/c one of the deceased guppies had fin rot. What should I do for the guppies?

Tank parameters:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5-10
37 gallon tank, 5 guppies 3 corys 1 platy. All with us less than 3 weeks. Tank cycled. Waterfall filter, heater at 78, bubble wall, plant media substrate, live plants.
I would hold off on the antibiotics for now.

What are your ph, gh, kh?

First piece of advice is to not use medication unless you are absolutely positive of what it is you're treating. For context, you wouldn't take antibiotics for a viral cold would you?

White stringy poo usually indicates worms. First thing to do is do a large water change and add carbon to the filter to get rid of the meds until we can help you work out what's going on

The red protruding from the anus - does it look like bristles from a child's paintbrush? If yes, those are camallanus worms. As Captain Barnicles says, remove the antibiotic from the water then we can help with worming meds.

The red protruding from the anus - does it look like bristles from a child's paintbrush? If yes, those are camallanus worms. As Captain Barnicles says, remove the antibiotic from the water then we can help with worming meds.
It was straight and did not appear bristled. pH is 7.8; I don’t currently have a way to test
I would hold off on the antibiotics for now.

What are your ph, gh, kh?
pH 7.8; I don't currently have a way to test for gh and kh but would be happy to obtain that. I'm using the API FW master test kit.

It looks more like a straight stick with no bristles. I'll reply to the antibiotics under Captain Barnacle's comment.

First piece of advice is to not use medication unless you are absolutely positive of what it is you're treating. For context, you wouldn't take antibiotics for a viral cold would you?

White stringy poo usually indicates worms. First thing to do is do a large water change and add carbon to the filter to get rid of the meds until we can help you work out what's going on
Hello CaptainBarnicles,

Thank you for the advice. I would normally be right there with you on only treating for the right thing, but was feeling desperate to help the little guys and saw a few things that pointed to some kind of infection (the fin rot I believe I saw on the orange tail guppy, the white dot on the fin of the grey guppy, and the potentially odd film on the cory catfish). I reasoned that if I could get some good advice I could stop - and I will! Should I just pop the filter back into the filter? Will that do it? Or do I need to get my hands on some additional charcoal filters?

Large water change - 50%? 75%?

As an update, the stressed guppies were up above the substrate for a few hours but are now back down. Neither are eating.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_2258.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2258.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 21
  • thumbnail_IMG_2259.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2259.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2235.jpg
    IMG_2235.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2226.jpg
    IMG_2226.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 18
I have been doing a gentle substrate vacuum twice a week, and about 10% water changes weekly, with a 25% change yesterday after our fish died. We've only had them for a few weeks.

Do a 75% water change and get some carbon for the filter...you can do another water change again tomorrow. Fin rot is likely caused by poor water, so you need to start doing bigger water changes. 10% isn't efficient enough especially in a new set up. We all make mistakes in the beginning, it's how we learn! Please don't think I'm telling you off, just trying to be clear and give you honest advice to help you out 👍🏻

Ok, 75% water change underway. Using Seachem Prime. Do we know enough for me to get any medication while I’m in town for the carbon? We lost another guppy overnight.

Attachments

• 0F196893-A408-448A-9B2D-7AC74CFC23AE.jpeg
    0F196893-A408-448A-9B2D-7AC74CFC23AE.jpeg
    396.2 KB · Views: 23
How long did you have them before the first one died...? If you've purchased them recently, they could've already been infected at the store. But as already been mentioned, it seems to be an internal worm problem.

Emeraldking, about three weeks, two for some of the guppies. The large chain store where they were purchased had many sick fish, and pulled a dead one out of the tank we chose one of the guppies from. We returned one that sickened two days after purchase. Our tank had been empty and cycling for two months prior to their purchase, so I think infection at the store is likely. I don’t want to return our guys to the indifferent care at the store, or replace anyone until we get the current problem under control. I’m hoping to find a better LFS.

Thanks for all the advice, folks. I appreciate your guidance.

Sorry to get down in the weeds, but the filter I bought is a four stage with charcoal. I also got some charcoal beads. Are both necessary?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back