"grey" Sand Under My Bog Wood

BigIan

Big and BAD!
Reaction score
I`ve just reorganised my tank and when i moved my bog wood to vac underneath it the sadn beneath it was grey,
Is this the effect of some anarobic do daddy or does the sand under bog wood always turn grey?

I havent got that under my bogwood. Did you give it a stir? did anything happen?

Squid

Is this the effect of some anarobic do daddy ?
Yes :nod: Just check underneath bogwood and heavy objects regularly. It can even turn pitch black and won't come out with rinsing.

sand is a popular choice for many desplays but it can compact and stagnate over time,turning black and releasing toxins.plant roots will help to stop this happening,but in open areas you will need to agitate the sand gently with your fingers once or twice a week.Heating cables placed beneath a sandy substrate can help and keep the are oxygenated.

also having fish like corys and some snail types will help, because they move the sand around

i plan to add malasian trumpet snails after the cycle. and about a dozen or so corys.

I was planning to plant some java fern on this bogwood, would having to move the wood every week to stir the sand harm the growth of the plant? or if i also added some amazon swords and other root feeding plants around the wood (as aparently plants thrive with anarobic conditions) would that counteract it?

i plan to add malasian trumpet snails after the cycle. and about a dozen or so corys.

I was planning to plant some java fern on this bogwood, would having to move the wood every week to stir the sand harm the growth of the plant? or if i also added some amazon swords and other root feeding plants around the wood (as aparently plants thrive with anarobic conditions) would that counteract it?

with that many corys i dont see what the problem will be, and i dont have much faith in the plants tho, unless the have a large rood surface area but then again, ive never had sand, going to next tho

BigIan

I move the mopwani wood that i have with some java fern on it.. it doesnt seem to do it any harm.. Just bare in mind that it takes a while for the roots to properly attach to the wood, so ensure that you tie it on well with some cotton or fishing line or something, so that in the early days when you are moving it, it doesnt affect the roots binding to the wood.. But i wouldnt worry too much, it should be fine.

Cheers
Squid

excelent....

I`ve just "re-planted" the mopani wood today i moved as much of the sand away as possible and i`ve also replanted all my root feeding plants right next to it so hopefully with regulare stirings under neath it this will never happen again

Most reactions

Back