Gravel

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

:D
With 135 tanks that are usually overstocked I have need to go into the substrate and stir things up good to get all the waste
:D

Makes sense, can't really dawdle around with 135 tanks to muck out :nod:

I found sterilised in a B&Q store not far from where I live

Jazz_UK...if you can it might be a good idea to bring a small magnifying glass with you to have a look at the sand before you buy it, just to make sure it's not to sharp.

Someone suggested that you could mix in some of the coloured sand (from your LFS), with the playsand to give it some texture and atmosphere!

Has anyone tried this? and what was the results?

Thanks
Jazz_UK

how bigs a bag? well a if its like a builders bag of sand then i would say one maybee one and a half makes the sand deep enough to put pots in here and there. im speeking from experienceas ive just put sand in its from the newport estury thus fresh water sand. i cleaned it allot all sand needs to be cleaned more than gravel thats the only chore for me as getting rid of it when its dirty just means syphoning it out properly with the water. not plausable with 135 tanks tho and its a personal thing.
rofl.gif
hmm

Well as far as the vaccing goes I am going to try something on the next water change, I am going to vac the sand and suck it into a large tote and and then take it and wash it again and see if that doesnt help with the sand getting dirty......We will see this weekend

Les

MamaPish said:
Now the other stuff you are referring too is the type of stone that the hobby needs to find again. Alot of fish would benefit from it.

There is only 1 fish store I have seen that sells this gravel...a 50 lb bag is only $10.50.....but If I am not mistaken....I think it is sandblasting sand....is this right?...
I have found out this gravel I use is NOT sandblasting sand....but it does come in a 50lb contractor type bag.....I am not sure what the stuff is, but it is great, I am posting a picture of the "regular size" natural gravel and the gravel I use... click here
if you know what it is let me know.
Thanks

I dont know what in the world they plan to sand blast with that stuff but running that stuff through a blaster would cut down a good sized tree. Thats the size of gravel from long ago. That is about the best of both worlds. you say its called sand blasting medium???????Im gonna have to check that out

Les

Very nice find MamaPish, as Les says the best of both worlds :thumbs:

Someone suggested that you could mix in some of the coloured sand (from your LFS), with the playsand to give it some texture and atmosphere

I've done this in 2 of my tanks now. one mixed with dark Green, one with dark Red. I find it gives it a whole different tint to the tank rather than the yellowish brown. With the green I mixed 3 or 4 parts playsand to 1 part green, with the red I went with 2 or 3 : 1 mix. I thought about using the colored sand to form patterns in the sand but I don't think they would last long.

Here are some pics of the 3 different looks The Look of Sand

NO no no.......I said it is NOT sandblasting sand,I asked my husband about it and he said it was NOT sandblasting sand....sorry if have I confused everyone?

Thats good Mama.....I was wondering what kind of stuff you was reffering to.....I have used sand blasters before and the sand from them is either real course of powdery fine. If you can get the name of that gravel you should please pass it along....I know there are alot that would be interested in it

Les

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I went to the B&Q store that I had called to pick up my playsand and the label did not have sterilised on it, only non-toxic, no-staining! I then went to the infodesk and they contacted the dept manager who then said he THINKS it is sterilised!! :huh:

I now have the phone number of the supplier and will call them today.

Is there anyone in the UK who has managed to purchase sterilised playsand?

Thanks
Jazz_UK

Hey mamP,

If I send ya a few hundred $$$ could you send me about 1000 pounds of that fine size gravel?? I used to have that available here at all times and no one here will stock it anymore.

I'll even pay for shipping!! ;) ;) :lol:

CM

I knew that stuff would eventually catch CM's attention....lol
If I get out and about this weekend I will go and look at Home depot.......GO TONY!!!!!!!!!!!!lol

Les

Good grief CM....how much would the shipping be on 1000 lbs :hyper:

have to ask hubby on that one...he works in shipping/receiving!

I called the fish shop to see exactly what this stuff is....and they just said "natural gravel"...they don't want to loose any $$$....anyway, they did say that it was also called "filter media", but I am pretty sure the bag I bought had "silica sand" printed on it.
When I went to get more last week they were out of the 50lb bags, but they sold me 5 10lb bags gor the same price.....they bag it up themselves and sell it for about 3bucks a 10 lb bag.....

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back