Gourami Health

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AnnT

Reaction score
I am new to tropical fish. Have a well planted, healthy tank which has cycled and amonia, nitrites are O, ph is 6.8 and temp is 78. We have 4 pearls, 2 sunset, 3 red honeys and 2 dwarfs. We have a 260L tank. One of the sunset seems to be courting one of the dwarfs although i think both may be male but unsure and while all of them swim around and feed ok, all spend quite a bit of time sitting on the bottom of the tank appearing to rest at different times of the day - breathing and fin movement seem fine. Is this normal - just need some reassurance as we have had white spot with our rummey nose tetras and while malachite green treatment sorted it out one of them died yesterday with one bulgy eye, its back end had pine cone type scales and it had fin rot (came on within 24 hours) - I know this may be signs of bacterial infection - we also lost a rosey tetra which had no apparent signs of disease but all of our other fish look ok, are feeding fine and swimming around with open fins. Apologies if you think i am being a bit paranoid.

Your rummy's symptoms were certainly consistent with an internal bacterial infection and the gouramies lying on the bottom may be presenting early manifestations of this. Either way, such bacterial infections are highly contagious and it's a good idea to treat for it now and hopefuly catch it early in the gouramies, You'll need something that says it treats 'dropsy' and 'pop-eye'. Make sure you keep up with water changes and monitor water params. during treatment as it could interfere with your biological filtration. Make sure you follow the med's instructions exactly - even if all the apparently sick fish don't make it, continue the treatment for the full course as reccomended by the manufacturer. Good luck and welcome to the forums! :D

Your rummy's symptoms were certainly consistent with an internal bacterial infection and the gouramies lying on the bottom may be presenting early manifestations of this. Either way, such bacterial infections are highly contagious and it's a good idea to treat for it now and hopefuly catch it early in the gouramies, You'll need something that says it treats 'dropsy' and 'pop-eye'. Make sure you keep up with water changes and monitor water params. during treatment as it could interfere with your biological filtration. Make sure you follow the med's instructions exactly - even if all the apparently sick fish don't make it, continue the treatment for the full course as reccomended by the manufacturer. Good luck and welcome to the forums! :D

Thanks for this, will do as advised and keep you posted

Just to be clear, when something says it can interfere with the biological filter, that normally means that you are left with an uncycled tank afterwards, at least in my experience.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back