Gourami Acting Strange

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kuzyaburst

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I added a Flame Dwarf Gourami to my 36g tank that has 14 neon tetras and 6 danios, I added him about a week ago. I have been keeping an eye on him this whole week to make sure he's doing alright but he doesn't move around the tank much he mainly stays in the back near my plants and sometimes swims around barely ever... I also have seen him swimming around near the water surface and near my filter which he hides behind sometimes. At first I though he is making bubble nests behind there but he wasn't, he also doesn't eat the food that I give almost all the time, he just eats some plant leaves every now and then. I don't understand what is going on, I also "think" he is a male but don't fully know. He doesn't move around much at all, he finds an area in the tank and stays there for a couple minutes. My water temp. is 77 degrees and my  pH is 7.8, the water is soft. He doesn't have scars or anything, but when I bought him he was very colorless and he brightened up just a tad bit but is still very light colored (just like most of the flames there). Is this normal behavior? Here's a picture of him but my camera made him a lot more colored than he actually is.

Attachments

• fish (0-00-00-00).jpg
    fish (0-00-00-00).jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 118
He is still fairly new so I would give him a bit more time to settle down, what is the water flow like in the tank? they don't like too much flow, do you have a full tank shot? he looks lovely :)

betta fish said:
He is still fairly new so I would give him a bit more time to settle down, what is the water flow like in the tank? they don't like too much flow, do you have a full tank shot? he looks lovely
smile.png
thanks, the water flow can be a little bit strong when the water levels are a little bit lower because of the filter, i'm going to try fixing that problem, and I can take a picture

picture of the tank, the Gourami is on the top left, and the rest of the fish are just swimming everywhere.

Attachments

• IMG_0446 (0-00-00-00).jpg
    IMG_0446 (0-00-00-00).jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 114
Your gourami could be stressed. I think you've said that you have neon tetras and danios with it? These are both active fish. The gourami is very sedate. Fast moving fish (like the neon tetras) can stress gourami. It's also a very bright tank. Consider adding floating plants for shade. They also like to forage or play through the dangling roots.

I agree, you need some floating plants.  Gourami are basically surface fish because they spend most if not all of their time close to the surface.  As you probably know, they take in atmospheric air as this is essential.  They love to cruise among floating vegetation, looking for miniscule particles of food; some floating plants with decent roots will provide this need.

Byron.

attibones said:
Your gourami could be stressed. I think you've said that you have neon tetras and danios with it? These are both active fish. The gourami is very sedate. Fast moving fish (like the neon tetras) can stress gourami. It's also a very bright tank. Consider adding floating plants for shade. They also like to forage or play through the dangling roots.
Ok gonna buy some today

I've got a opaline gourami. Its in with neons, glowlights, zebra loach and a krib. At first he used to be in behind the filter and in amongst my Java fern. He is now out loads, but swims quickly away if anyone moves to quickly in the room. He stays close to the top.

Most reactions

Back