Got the flu, had to send the hubs......

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SarahBeth

Reaction score
So it was grooming day for our dog and I came down with the flu. Sent my hubs to take her and he said he's look at the fish. I had told him I wanted some long fin red serpea tetras if they had them. They didn't. He came home with buenos aires tetras (which I like, so cool) and 4, yes 4 rainbow sharks. I knew there was a reason but feeling like garbage couldn't deal with it. Ugh. I want to return them this weekend. I'm gonna have to ease him into the idea. I suggested we watch some videos on rainbow sharks. It's still gonna take some convincing because he gets it wasn't a good idea but thinks we should keep them for a while till they get bigger and an issue arises. I want them gone.

Let me help you out with this information from Seriouslyfish about rainbow sharks:

Maximum Standard Length​

130 – 150 mm. that is 5.9 inches not counting the tail

Aquarium Size​

An aquarium with base measurements of 48" ∗ 18" should be the smallest considered for a single specimen, with larger quarters necessary for a group.

Diet​

Primarily an aufwuchs grazer feeding on algae, small crustaceans, insect larvae, etc., and for it to develop its best colours and condition it should be offered regular meals of small live and frozen foods such as chironomid larvae (bloodworm), Daphnia and Artemia along with good quality dried flakes, granules and fresh plant material.

Shelled peas, cucumber, blanched courgette, spinach and chopped fruit all make good additions to the menu. Once settled it will often ascend into midwater to feed and browse the biofilm that tends to form on rockwork and other solid surfaces.

Behaviour and Compatibility​

While small specimens tend to hide away much of the time they become increasingly territorial as they grow and can display particularly high levels of aggression towards similar-looking species........

This species probably lives a solitary lifestyle and in nature would probably have only come into contact with others of its own kind infrequently and during the spawning season. These instincts heighten as the fish get older and we therefore recommend it be kept singly in the majority of cases. In a very large tank with lots of cover a cohabitation attempt might be possible but each individual is likely to require a territory with a diameter of at least a metre.

from https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/epalzeorhynchos-frenatum/

Four of them? Get well soon and when you can, get them out. Once they injure each other, the store will likely not take them back.

Let me help you out with this information from Seriouslyfish about rainbow sharks:

Maximum Standard Length​

Aquarium Size​

An aquarium with base measurements of 48" ∗ 18" should be the smallest considered for a single specimen, with larger quarters necessary for a group.

Diet​

Primarily an aufwuchs grazer feeding on algae, small crustaceans, insect larvae, etc., and for it to develop its best colours and condition it should be offered regular meals of small live and frozen foods such as chironomid larvae (bloodworm), Daphnia and Artemia along with good quality dried flakes, granules and fresh plant material.

Shelled peas, cucumber, blanched courgette, spinach and chopped fruit all make good additions to the menu. Once settled it will often ascend into midwater to feed and browse the biofilm that tends to form on rockwork and other solid surfaces.

While small specimens tend to hide away much of the time they become increasingly territorial as they grow and can display particularly high levels of aggression towards similar-looking species........

This species probably lives a solitary lifestyle and in nature would probably have only come into contact with others of its own kind infrequently and during the spawning season. These instincts heighten as the fish get older and we therefore recommend it be kept singly in the majority of cases. In a very large tank with lots of cover a cohabitation attempt might be possible but each individual is likely to require a territory with a diameter of at least a metre.

Maximum Standard Length​

Aquarium Size​

Diet​

from https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/epalzeorhynchos-frenatum/
I know. I had already researched Rainbow sharks which is why I hadn't gotten them before. I was too sick to explain it to my hubs so I just nicely suggested we watch videos on them. Now I'm working on him to return.

Four of them? Get well soon and when you can, get them out. Once they injure each other, the store will likely not take them back.
I am beginning to feel better finally. Now I have to figure out what to put them in to take them back.

So it was grooming day for our dog and I came down with the flu. Sent my hubs to take her and he said he's look at the fish. I had told him I wanted some long fin red serpea tetras if they had them. They didn't. He came home with buenos aires tetras (which I like, so cool) and 4, yes 4 rainbow sharks. I knew there was a reason but feeling like garbage couldn't deal with it. Ugh. I want to return them this weekend. I'm gonna have to ease him into the idea. I suggested we watch some videos on rainbow sharks. It's still gonna take some convincing because he gets it wasn't a good idea but thinks we should keep them for a while till they get bigger and an issue arises. I want them gone.
A shame an LFS sells 4 of them and only 4 tetras.

Get better soon !

Yes- when you take them back, ask for store credit? Use it to boost the Tetra school some. You can consider other fish as well. The fact that you are asking for credit and not cash usually inclines a store to be more receptive to returns. However, if you want to double check what they suggest to be suree it works, come back and post oon the site there are plenty of folks here who can help in that respect.

The fish store should give you a couple of bags into which the fish will fit so you can return them. If you were in the sates I could send you a few bags. Bag them in thak water. If you use tap water, you need to add dechlor and also have the water close to the temp. of the water in the tank.

A shame an LFS sells 4 of them and only 4 tetras.

Get better soon !
They weren't meant for the same tank but still 4 in a 65 gallon is a no no. I don't really want one. I have long fin black skirt tetras and if one fin gets nipped I'm going to loose it.

Most reactions

trending

Back