Golden Barbs swimming at slant

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

LittleMadFish

Reaction score
I recently got golden barbs and they're swimming at a slant. They're not bent as if they were dying but just tilted off to the side. They seem fine to me, not lethargic, no fin clamping, just occasional gill flaring. My ammonia is at 0, Nitrite at 0, and Nitrate under 5.0 ppm. pH is at 6.8 and GH at 30. (I used an api test strip for GH so it may not be 100% accurate). I used regular planting soil (MiracleGro Organic)as the first layer of substrate and capped it with pool filter sand and some tan rocks. I didn't think this would be a problem because I've heard of people doing it before. I'm worried its the substrate because having to tear apart my tank is not going to be fun(woe is me lol)

I recently got golden barbs and they're swimming at a slant. They're not bent as if they were dying but just tilted off to the side. They seem fine to me, not lethargic, no fin clamping, just occasional gill flaring. My ammonia is at 0, Nitrite at 0, and Nitrate under 5.0 ppm. pH is at 6.8 and GH at 30. (I used an api test strip for GH so it may not be 100% accurate). I used regular planting soil (MiracleGro Organic)as the first layer of substrate and capped it with pool filter sand and some tan rocks. I didn't think this would be a problem because I've heard of people doing it before. I'm worried its the substrate because having to tear apart my tank is not going to be fun(woe is me lol)

I just posted about problems with the barbs in this tank, in your other thread. Now you have more issues with soil. Soil is usually full of organics, and this can cause unstable water parameters/conditions for up to six months. High CO2 and high ammonia are common. If your test is accurate and ammonia is still zero, it coould be the CO2, or something else, depending where the soil originated.

I would reemove the barbs quickly, and hopefully you can return them, as they will not work even if they do survive this.

I just posted about problems with the barbs in this tank, in your other thread. Now you have more issues with soil. Soil is usually full of organics, and this can cause unstable water parameters/conditions for up to six months. High CO2 and high ammonia are common. If your test is accurate and ammonia is still zero, it coould be the CO2, or something else, depending where the soil originated.

I would reemove the barbs quickly, and hopefully you can return them, as they will not work even if they do survive this.
How do I check for high co2?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back