gold saum -- best tank size?

firetank

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
as the topic suggest,s i have a gold saum bought as a A.pulcher(easy mistake to make as juvenile..)

hes now approaching 4" and getting a little aggresive for the keyholes hes in with..

1)is a 48*18*18 a suitable size to keep him in, would this allow for any tankmates of a similar size\temperament?(i have in mind a 5" J.dempsey ive seen for only Ā£10 locally..)

2)alternatively would this be too small to try accomodate a female GS??

thanks
craig

48x18x18 would be fine for a pair and dithers,or another silmilar size cichlid w/dithers and catfish.
at the current size of your GS you definately have your hands full...finding a tankmate will be hard.a jd IMO would be a good tankmate depending on it's personality of course...some can be pretty nasty.
I kept mine w/a few different cichlids til i got a decent setup...the best one was a carpenti,when i got it-it was atleast 2"s smaller than the GT and they got along great,the first was a buttikoferi that was 3"s bigger and the GT kicked his butt all around the tank :(

my 2 cents!!

I have a 4" JD in with my 6.5" GT and they do fine. Don't even fight. I have a Herichthys deppii and a small con with them for the time being. The deppii and GT fight a lot lately and the JD and deppii fight regularly. My tank is the same size you are thinking of putting them in.

my situation is the other way around I have a 7 inch JD and got a 5 inch GS from CM, after a bit of jaw locking the two are inseprable, but sometimes the JD needs to let him know that he is still in charge.
edit: can we get to see some pics of him?

Most reactions

Back