Glow Light Tetra

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fish48

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
3 weeks ago I bought three pairs of glow light tetras from my local pet shop.
My tap water has a very high pH. perfect for all of my livebearers ,
glowlights are very adaptable to water conditions, however I decided to lower the PH In order to give the tiny eggs and fry a better chance of survival Well, they spawned today.
This is my first attempt to spawn glow light tetras So not sure how things will turn out.
IMG_5552.JPG

( female. )
IMG_5555.jpg

I had a friend who bred them years ago, and they've been on my to-do list since. Anything you can share about the process is something I'd really appreciate.

I had a friend who bred them years ago, and they've been on my to-do list since. Anything you can share about the process is something I'd really appreciate.
I would be happy to share. I'm keeping a record of everything

pH isn’t really all that important. It’s used as a sign of hardness (GH) which is the important thing. Livebearers need hard water, Glowlights do better in soft water.

Tetra eggs are photosensitive and won't hatch if they are in a light environment. You don't have a light on the breeding tank and you need to black the tank out after the adults have bred and been removed.

They need very soft water (GH & KH as close to 0ppm as possible) and a pH below 7.0. However, they will breed in water with a pH slightly above 7.0.

Tannins are always useful in breeding tetras but not essential for most species. They make the water darker and less light gets on the eggs and kills them.

The fry are small and need green water, infusoria, or a powdered fry food for egg-layers. Boiled egg yolk can also be used. The following link has info on that.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back