Ghost shrimp

luxum

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I'm considering ghost shrimp for cleanup crew when i restock my tank, since i have a pure flourite substrate cories are out of the question. So, if you had to equate a ghost shrimp to a fish in terms of bioload, what would it be? Is one shrimp about like a small tetra? Or is it more like a larger fish?

FOUR per GALLON??? Is that a typo lol? That would be eighty shrimp! And what i'm trying to figure out is how many fish i would need to remove from my stocking plans to accomodate a few shrimp, not the maximum amount of shrimp i could stuff in my tank. ;)

Sorry, should've made that clearer, that would be 4 under the "inch per gallon" rule. Since Ghosts are so small and have such a small bioload, you can have 4 of them under that rule so for every inch of fish under that rule replaced, you can have 4. Of course that rule isn't all that reliable so I just went to 4 per gallon instead.

If you're concerned with overstocking, then treat the shrimp the same as small fish.

I have 6 ghost shrimp in my 55 gallon, along with 2 japonica shrimp and one singapore shrimp. I haven't seen the latter since I put them in the tank. :dunno: They hide very well and only come out at night.

I usually count 4-5 ghost shrimp at a time. My tank is heavily planted so these guys can hide very easily.

after they come out the back side of my oscar they tend to create quite a bioload :lol:

They add barely anything. I don't think you should count them as fish becuase they don't add as much to the bioload as a fish does.

Teelie said:
Sorry, should've made that clearer, that would be 4 under the "inch per gallon" rule. Since Ghosts are so small and have such a small bioload, you can have 4 of them under that rule so for every inch of fish under that rule replaced, you can have 4. Of course that rule isn't all that reliable so I just went to 4 per gallon instead.
Ohhhhhh ok that makes a lot more sense! :lol:

Most reactions

Back