Ghost Knife Tail Has A Curled Tail

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ghost rider

Reaction score
HI everyone,

Im new and hoing some of you have ghost knife tails and can help me!

I have a 50 ltr tank with a few guppys, 2 danijos, 1 bleeding heart, 1 molly, 2 gouramis, 1 upside catfish (I think) and a ghost knife tail. I lost a couple recently which I think was due to the fact that the heater got knocked and the temp went right up without me realising. There was a trace of nitrate so Ive changed bi weekly since with safe water, safe guard etc and right now all seem happy. BUT, my ghost rider's tail is curling? The end seems a little frayed too. I know they like hiding places - theres lots of plant cover and a black plant pot for him to hide into. They are all fed daily sinking granuals and to my knowledge, no fish have been eaten by him (I wasnt told he was a predator when I bought him) He is very easy going and seems a happy chap but Im worried about his tail. Ive researched and found out how big him and my catfish and the gouramis will grow so will upgrade soon. Ive had the tank for 4 months now and all the fish where bought together in the beginning.

Im worried maybe he hasnt enough room and his tail is curling because of it? Anyone know at all? All comments appreciated.

Hi,

He's about 8 cm at the mo. Im literally looking for a new tank as we speak. The tails is a little frayed too - could this be a sign of sickness do you think? He does seem quite happy as usual apart from this?

If the tail is frayed at the end then I would suspect either nipping from another fish, most likely the bleeding heart as they can be nippy if not kept in a larger shoal, though I never found mine to bother my ghost. As already said the tank is way to small, you need at least a 4ft, probably more likely a 5ft by the time he reaches full growth, although at 8cms it may not be effecting the growth, depending on the dimensions of the tank.

Curling of the tail can a sign of an infection or if he's being stressed by nipping, he could be trying to protect it. Are there any other signs of problems with him? Any change in colour for instance? What are you feeding him on?

If the tail is frayed at the end then I would suspect either nipping from another fish, most likely the bleeding heart as they can be nippy if not kept in a larger shoal, though I never found mine to bother my ghost. As already said the tank is way to small, you need at least a 4ft, probably more likely a 5ft by the time he reaches full growth, although at 8cms it may not be effecting the growth, depending on the dimensions of the tank.

Curling of the tail can a sign of an infection or if he's being stressed by nipping, he could be trying to protect it. Are there any other signs of problems with him? Any change in colour for instance? What are you feeding him on?

He and the rest of the tank are being fed on regular tropical fish granuals that sink for bottom feeders (as advised by the shop) I have spent some time watching them all and he doesnt seem bothered by anyone other than him and the cat fish have in the past tried to hog the same corner, tho I thought from their behaviour they were mates! Didnt see them fighting? My gouramis seem a little bullyish but only to each other - they look like they are nipping but I was told its just a strength tug of war. They too were healthy and then recently one developed a little fraying too but again seems happy all round and not sick? I have treated for fin rot in case and its not progressed any. I maintain the temp at 26 at all times. (apart from when the heaer got bashed!) I had the water tested by a shop and there was a trace of nitrate. Was advised possible over feeding to cut this right down and change water often with necessary chemicals to clean it. I was told this would iradicate itself after a few changes which I have done.

In respect of any other changes in him: he looked a little lethargic a few weeks back which is why I got the water tested. Then he perked up. He seemed to have a little cut on his under fin, in the middle, this seems to have healed. No change in colour. He seems a sociable little guy and no-one seems to be bothering him? The bleeding heart is unsociable, keeps himself to himself and bothers no-one?

I feel really ignorant and a bit annoyed with the shop that sold me my fish. Its my first tank and I should have researched rather than believing those that took my money. Ill get a new tank as a matter of urgency this week and hope I can keep them all healthy. I am especially attached to ghosty. Im told I have too many variances of fish and thus too many needs to cater for at once? Should I rehome some? I feel like my ignorance has made me cruel to my little fishes now and I just want the best for them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back