Gfo Reactor In Fully Planted Aquarium

Rafael Dilone

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Well i have an unopen Phosban Reactor that i was wondering putting to use since i have minor phosphates in my 29 gallon planted aquarium. I was planning on running a bit of GFO(Granulated Ferric Oxide) in the chamber at a few grams with a compact eheim pump. The flow rate will be set at 60 gph. Anyone ever tried one in a planted aquarium or a freshwater aquarium at that?

I've seen phosphate removing media in freshwater tanks for excess algae, however phosphorus is a vital plant nutrient and is part of the macro fertiliser group people dose, so it may be detrimental to your plants.

There are probably other things you could beneficially run in your reactor though.

I've seen phosphate removing media in freshwater tanks for excess algae, however phosphorus is a vital plant nutrient and is part of the macro fertiliser group people dose, so it may be detrimental to your plants.

There are probably other things you could beneficially run in your reactor though.
I thought of the same thing. Reason i been researching all the different kinds of GFO pellets/granules on the market. Most phosphate removing media is not worth your money in the long run since it needs replacement on a frequent basis. Worst case scenario i will just run it with high grade carbon if the GFO from two little fishes is removing too many trace elements in my plants need.

I am currently running Seachem Matrix on it and the results are great. I will need to replace it in about 2-3 weeks. When i run out of the bulk i ordered i think Seachem Seagel would be better.

Most reactions

Back