Getting My Aquarium Going Agian, And Could Use Some Help

dwarfy123

New Member
Joined
May 4, 2009
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi guys.

I used to be quite into the aquarium hobby about 5 years ago. I had a 20 gallon freshwater setup with live plants that I kept very well for some years. Since then I have started university, and I have gotten lazy, and let my aquarium fall apart. Over the last year, I have had all but 2 of my fish die (my pleco and 1 yoyo loach). Today I was looking on the interent, and ran into some picutres of some beautiful freshwater setups, and it has inspired me to bring my fish tank back to its glory days.

Now, with that being said, I really have forgotten quite alot about the hobby, and was just wondering if someone could offer me some advice as to how I should go about getting my aquarium back up to par. In its current state, it was 3/4 evaporated, thermometer had a centimeter layer of crud on it, and when I did a water change the water in my bucket was black.... So, I cleaned off my thermometer, and put 10 gallons of water in the tank, put some dechlorinator in, and some fertilizer for my remaining plants (suprisingly, only 1 out of 6 have died).

What should be my next step in refurbishing the aquarium? My gravel/ water is still very dirty, but I can't really add more water in, considering I just added 10 gallons. The water is cloudy, and there is grime on all my rocks and other decorations.

How long should I wait till I add new fish?

Thanks for your help.
 
Read that link that drobbyb has provided for ya.

Also, I would empty the tank out, scrub/rinse the entire tank, boil the rocks in water or scrub them off very well.

Wash all the substrate and remaining decor.

Then do what is described in the link.

-FHM
 
Definitely take out the decor and gravel and give it a good clean.

What sort of state is the filter in, have you cleaned that at all, if you did, what did you clean it in???
 
Definitely take out the decor and gravel and give it a good clean.

What sort of state is the filter in, have you cleaned that at all, if you did, what did you clean it in???


The filter is in rough shape, but I will clean it out, and put a new filter cartridge in.

How do I go about cleaning the gravel with fish still in the aquarium?
 
Hi dwarfy123 :)

I agree with taking it apart and cleaning it out too. Save the filter media because the beneficial bacteria is still valuable. Don't just replaceit. You could move the fish into a clean bucket while you are doing it, and put the filter media in another. If your gravel is icky, it might be easier to replace it than to clean it. This will help you avoid a condition called Old Tank Syndrome.

[URL="http://www.bestfish.com/oldtank.html"]http://www.bestfish.com/oldtank.html[/URL]

How big is that Pleco?
 
Hi dwarfy123 :)

I agree with taking it apart and cleaning it out too. Save the filter media because the beneficial bacteria is still valuable. Don't just replaceit. You could move the fish into a clean bucket while you are doing it, and put the filter media in another. If your gravel is icky, it might be easier to replace it than to clean it. This will help you avoid a condition called Old Tank Syndrome.

<a href="http://www.bestfish.com/oldtank.html" target="_blank">http://www.bestfish.com/oldtank.html</a>

How big is that Pleco?

If I were to put the 2 fish in a bucket, how much of the old aquarium water should I put in the bucket?
Maybe I will just put about 5 gallons of the old water in in a bucket, and drain the rest, then replace the gravel with new stuff.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to clean the filter/thermometer? There is alot of crud built up on both of em, and I couldn't get it off with a cloth or toothbrush.

The pleco is the same size as when I bought it a couple of years ago, only about 3 inches. Probably due to it being in crappy water/ and not being fed very frequently.

Also, I had the filter unplugged for about 2 weeks, because the water was so low that the filter was running dry. So would all the helpful bacteria that live in the filter media be dead anyway?

Thx for your help guys.

Edit:

I just read the old tank syndrome article, and that's defiantly what has occurred in my aquarium. I would not be suprised if my PH is rock bottom, and I bet my N02 levels are through the roof. So, in order to save my 2 remaining fish, but still be able to eventually add new ones, should I replace the gravel, and continue to do 10-15 percent water changes for a while?

Thx
 

Most reactions

Back
Top