Getting Back In The Game!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

timpetty

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all!

I was very active on this forum years ago and got lots of GREAT ideas and advice from the great people on here. I want to set up a BUDGET tank in my new house but wanted to get advice from the members of this great forum.

Right now I have an Aquapod 24 (that needs some scraping) and plenty of "dead" rock in a plastic tote.  I will have to replace the bulbs, fans, and pumps in it.  My question has two parts.

1) Is it worth my while to replace these parts in the old tank? Any recommendations on what to replace them with (new technology)?
2) I need to cycle this rock. My plan right now is to cycle it in the basement and then transfer the rock to the aquapod upstairs.  My reason for this is I'm sure it will smell TERRIBLE.  Any new tricks to cut the smell / cycle faster? Any additives etc? And should it be ok to cycle separate from final resting place? Like I said, the rock is very old and will need lots of scrubbing and cycling.

Thank you very much to any readers or responders!!  Please keep in mind money is a huge issue.  I have the tank and rocks so that should cut a big chunk out of my spending.  Feel free to give me even the most "obvious" tips. Like I said, Ive been out of the game for a while.

Marine isn't very active in this forum. I'd replace with what you feal you know works. I mean the tank sounds fine and to save yourself cash just replace worn parts.

As for cycling rock. I think there's only one way to do it. The long and boring way. I've never needed to cycle dead rock I've always bought it live but it is costly.

Thanks techen. Do u mean I'm in the wrong section? Or that there aren't many marine tank people on this entire forum anymore?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back