German Ram - Mouth Fungus? - Pics Included

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

jb1997mcd

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Good evening all,

Hoping to get some advice on my german ram that looks like it has some sort of mouth fungus.  See front left side of mouth. 

Parameters:
90 gallon
largest fish in the tank ( single ram ) w/ harlequin ras, neons, cardinals, and rummy nose
temp 78-80
0,0, 5-10
Ph 7 ish,
Kh 4-4.5, GH 6
tank up and running since June 2012
25% water changes once a week

Just got ram back on Nov 8th.

Have a hospital tank that I could treat but wanted to see what some folks thought.

Thanks for help,
jb

Attachments

• Pic 1 Front Shot.jpg
    Pic 1 Front Shot.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Pic 4 Further Away Front Shot.jpg
    Pic 4 Further Away Front Shot.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Pic 2 Side Shot.jpg
    Pic 2 Side Shot.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Pic 3 Side Shot.jpg
    Pic 3 Side Shot.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Pic 5 Other Side Shot.jpg
    Pic 5 Other Side Shot.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 64
I can't tell from the photos just what this is, but I would not start treatment for fungus or anything else.  Keep observing the fish, and the others.  In good conditions, things like this frequently heal on their own or don't develop into anything.

I would suggest increasing the volume of the weekly partial water change a bit, 1/3 to 1/2 the tank.  This can't do any harm, and will help generally.

Byron.

Thanks for the note Byron.

I will try to get another picture or two tonight that is easier to see.  Here is my dilemma.  I have to leave for California on Dec 9th and won't return until the 15th.  I figured for a normal 5 day treatment with say Mardel Maracyn I would want to start tomorrow in order to get through the treatment.  I'd hate to have to leave with the condition worsening.

Jb

jb1997mcd said:
Thanks for the note Byron.

I will try to get another picture or two tonight that is easier to see.  Here is my dilemma.  I have to leave for California on Dec 9th and won't return until the 15th.  I figured for a normal 5 day treatment with say Mardel Maracyn I would want to start tomorrow in order to get through the treatment.  I'd hate to have to leave with the condition worsening.

Jb

The problem is first identifying the issue.  Maracyn is something I have used, and it has detrimental effects on fish and plants, so it should only be used if absolutely necessary.  I believe Maracyn is an antibiotic, and indiscriminate use of these in an aquarium can have serious consequences.

To save the plants you might think the QT better, but if this is bacterial or fungal, it may be in the tank so this is not going to really solve the issue.

I am very careful using medications after a couple of bad scenarios.  When issues like this are left alone, they often clear up or do not get worse/spread, at least in my experience.  If another member with more experience sees this and recommends something, up to you.  Identifying disease issues is very difficult with fish.

Thanks Byron,

Here are some more pics.  I believe I would try the hospital tank first and treat the ram there.  

Two observations - looks like fish is puckering for a kiss and some deep red spots behind mouth.

Keeping my fingers crossed.  I hate when these things happen as they consume my whole day.

Thanks again,
Jb

Attachments

• IMG_1377.JPG
    IMG_1377.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1375.JPG
    IMG_1375.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1368.JPG
    IMG_1368.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 71