German Blue Ram Stocking

The young one

Fishaholic
Joined
Jun 9, 2009
Messages
576
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
B Paradise
Hi, I have an aquastart 500 which is a 65l tank, I was wandering whether I could keep a pair of german blue rams and 5 female bettas in the tank. It will be heavily planted, also instead of German blue ramns may I be able to keep 1 male and 2 female cockatoo cichlids? Still with 5 female bettas.

Thanks in advance
Joe
 
Hi, I have an aquastart 500 which is a 65l tank, I was wandering whether I could keep a pair of german blue rams and 5 female bettas in the tank. It will be heavily planted, also instead of German blue ramns may I be able to keep 1 male and 2 female cockatoo cichlids? Still with 5 female bettas.

Thanks in advance
Joe
65 litres is too small for a pair of rams IMO...and they need higher temps (28-32 oC ) to ensure they live a fulfilled life.

a pair of apistos may be fine but i still wouldnt risk it with nippy females.
 
Ok thanks for the fast reply, I'll probably just have 5 females and some corys or a catfish.


I like that idea better :good: IMO i wud suggest a 29g tank for a pair of rams(which i wud not suggest to beginners) and keep them with some other very peacefull fish such as lemon tetras or flame tetras, throw in a couple corys aswell. Also i wud suggest black gravel, not for the fish but more so because it rly brings out the colors of the rams.
 
Ok thanks for the fast reply, I'll probably just have 5 females and some corys or a catfish.


I like that idea better :good: IMO i wud suggest a 29g tank for a pair of rams(which i wud not suggest to beginners) and keep them with some other very peacefull fish such as lemon tetras or flame tetras, throw in a couple corys aswell. Also i wud suggest black gravel, not for the fish but more so because it rly brings out the colors of the rams.
gravel isnt such a good idea with rams.
as their latin name suggest - mikrogeophagus ramirezi they are mini earth eaters so sand is ideal as they will sift it through their gills for food.
 
Ok thanks for the fast reply, I'll probably just have 5 females and some corys or a catfish.


I like that idea better :good: IMO i wud suggest a 29g tank for a pair of rams(which i wud not suggest to beginners) and keep them with some other very peacefull fish such as lemon tetras or flame tetras, throw in a couple corys aswell. Also i wud suggest black gravel, not for the fish but more so because it rly brings out the colors of the rams.
gravel isnt such a good idea with rams.
as their latin name suggest - mikrogeophagus ramirezi they are mini earth eaters so sand is ideal as they will sift it through their gills for food.


Thank you for sharing that i had no clue rams participated in the "earth eating practices", now that i think about it they do look extremely similar to eartheaters, although there faces r much more rounded, and there fins rnt as long (depending on which species ur comparing). neway in that case i recommend black sand.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top