General Chat

vmong

Reaction score
HI J
I am Vincent, 15 UK and was wondering what kind of fish you have; so what fish do you keep in your tank? Do you have pictures of your aquarium? I havenā€™t been a practical fish keeper long but I am quite interested in the hobby! I have very good knowledge of the requirements of fish. I began with 3 Goldfish then I bought a sail fin Pleco as I found them interesting then I bought a silver shark! As I was a beginner I didnā€™t know much about them and all I had was a crappy ā€œaquarium setā€ from pet smart and that was so rubbish, I has a 15 litre tank, rubbish filter that didnā€™t even clean the water. Then my mum bought me a big 55 litre tank with a Fluval 3 Plus filter and I met the standard requirements of the fish. I now have a Silver Shark a.k.a Quick Silver, Ruby or Red Finned Shark a.k.a Ruff Ruby, I have the Pleco Still, it will soon outgrow the tank, 1 Tiger Barb unfortunately the other one died L 1 fancy Goldfish and 2 Common Goldfish. I want to get rid of the and give them to my uncle who has a very big tank that is full of Goldfish! Ruby is very territorial and is always chasing he Tiger Barb and Silver Shark; the Silver Shark has a few fin injuries but not fatal though! And I want to know how I can make the Ruby stop chasing it!!! I donā€™t want to get rid of either because when they get bigger they are beautiful and I cant really afford to get another tank! I also need some advice, my goldfish seem to always hide behind the piece of drift wood. They are not always like this but its only or a short amount of time. When do fish ā€œsleepā€ I know they donā€™t literally sleep but do they just lay on the gravel or close to the gravel? I am thinking about getting a Columbian Catfish as I think that they are very cool! but I am not too sure if I should because they are usually on the bottom and so is the Ruby L, do you think that the Ruby will bully it? I just love the Ruby and I saw one in a shop that was about 5ā€ and loved it. I was going to get I but I didnā€™t because I have been advised that they donā€™t et on with its own species and will cause chaos in my tank by bullying harassing the other fish!
I want to fill my tank with a few more fish as they are relatively small (biggest about 8cm) and want to know some suggestions, in my opinion I think that Guppies fish are the most rubbish fish there is and I donā€™t know why people would buy it but then I we all like the same then life would be boring! Anyone own a Silver Arowana? What are they like? Ill get it when Iā€™m rich because you need a massive tank! Anyone keep any other ā€œsharkā€ fish I think that they are v.cool.
My tank consists of a Filter, Air pump (I donā€™t really use it), a heater that is usually 27 degrees Celsius, Gravel about 2.5ā€, a nice piece of Drift wood. I want to put a few plants in my tank but donā€™t know what ones! Any suggestions.
Does anyone have soft shell terrapins? I saw them in the shop and wanted to know a bit about them.

Well I hope to hear from you J
PEACE OUT
V.M

if a Ruby Shark is the same as a Red Tailed Black Shark or Red Fin Shark then he'll probably be very agressive and territorial. both Reds like staking out an area of tank of there own, usually the bottom, and chase everyone who gets too close away. If your Silver and Tiger are being harassed i'd suggest removing someone. think about this though; would you rather have a tank with one agressive fish who tears apart all tankmates, or a tank with a community of passive-agressive fish? i'd go with the latter, and i am now because my Betta Pierce is harassing my Platties in the same way you described Ruby harassing the other Shark and Barb. and Goldfish don't do well in tropical conditions, it's much like putting a Discus in a pond!

now, as for your asking about new inhabitants; with Ruby there, i wouldn't bother. you'd end up wasting your money as he'd probably murder the newcomers. he can tolerate the others because they've been there almost as long as him, but these new ones will not be accepted. if you do get rid of Ruby, eleven more Tigers (twelve is that magic number where they stop harassing other fish and start harassing each other) and perhaps a few Platties, Swordtails or Mollies to provide 'live food' and at least a quartet of Cories as bottomfeeders, and you'd have yourself a neat little community :)

as for plants; Vallisnera Gigantea is very good, long stalky and leafy like tall sawgrass it grows like a weed and will soon inhabit the better part of your tank, so if you ever get a second tank you can just snip off a few of your old Vallisnera buds and replant them in the new tank! Java Fern is also good, and Java Moss if it's tied down to the driftwood for a little while so it anchors. Riccia and Hair Grass make neat substrate coverers! these are the few plants i know of, and if i could get my hands on all of them and a 20g tank i'd probably end up with a natural style jungle much like those in my dad's Nature Aquarium World fish books :lol:

welcome to the forums VMong!

Welcome to Da Forumz Chatz! vmong! :thumbs:

Most reactions

Back