Gambusia X Guppy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Baccus

We are not born just so we can die
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I don't know if this has been covered before but here goes.

A couple of months ago I was catching some local shrimp in a creek and snagged what I suspected maybe a male endler. In the same creek was also so native rainbow fish, native gudgeons and introduced gambusia. But not a guppy to be seen (most feral guppies in Australia the males are snakeskin/ grass patterned and the females usually show no colour or just a little bit of black on the tail).

Anyway after putting the lone little male through quarentine he has since been put in a 4ft tank with tetras, a fighter, shrimp, brislte noses and strebia corydoras. He has not grown past endler size but becuase he was trying to breed with the tetras (gold tetras) I got a coloured virgin female guppy (half black body with blue/ black tail and dorsal fin... and she was a virgin from my own breeding stocks she had never been with a male) and added her to the tank.

The male of course did the deed and the female has just dropped the first fry.

But my question is this. Could the male (which I thought might be an endler due to his size and colouration) actually be a hybrid guppy from a gambusia x guppy. And if so are the young now he has been crossed back to a standard fancy guppy going to show more guppy or gambusia traits?

Even though I have been back to the same creek and even a few others I have not come across another male like the one I caught but plenty of gambusia along with native fish.

Thanks

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back