Fry Being Stolen!

star4

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
Story so far... I noticed my thayeri had fry earlier (post in new world section..) anyway since uploading the video, I had noticed my argentea making daring dashes into the fry cloud. I thought he was eating them sadly, but he hasnt, he has been stealing the fry and now has a small batch in the opposite side of the tank. All hell is breaking loose as the parents are really mad and are trying to get those fry back again while still guarding the others.

Argie with stolen fry...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BuW1mrDK44&feature=youtu.be

Oh wow. I didn't realize that some species of fish were kidnappers. 
shout.gif

They are not, well as far as I know. I fed them again and the female dashed in and grabbed a mouthful before he came back, he still has some. Going to turn out the lights and hopefully they will sort themselves out. I dont have anything set up to catch the fry the argie has, I doubt they will be there in the morning.

Oh dear. I hope it all works out for you, star!

This is an interesting thing. Never heard of anything like it before...

Animals do crazy things.

I had two breeding pairs of angels that used to steal each others fry lol, eventually the parents at the time got that annoyed they ate them

I have heard of kribensis pairs stealing each others fry, but that is with both sets having fry. The argentea dont have fry only the thayeri, but this morning the argentea does not have those he stole and the thayeri are hiding right in the wood and plants so I can hardly see them. Whether they got their fry back or he ate them in the night I dont know.

Very weird to watch him steal and guard fry that are not his own though, totally new one for me.

Fascinating, maybe next time seperate them and give them both some fry to look after, would be interested to know if the fry thief would actually bring them up too.

As much as we try to create an environment that equals the fishes, they are still a captive animal and will occasionally show unexpected behaviors. I always thought of it as Mother Nature/evolution doing its thing.

This is fascinating, thanks for sharing :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back