Fry alert!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

danantrich

Reaction score
Hey all!

Any tips on how to catch/entice platy fry to move them to separate tank? I've spotted two this morning, they are only a or two old. Thanks in advance. Also, how long can the female stay giving birth..I had 3 females pregnant and can't figure out which one has had the fry as they are still all the same size!

Hey all!

Any tips on how to catch/entice platy fry to move them to separate tank? I've spotted two this morning, they are only a or two old. Thanks in advance. Also, how long can the female stay giving birth..I had 3 females pregnant and can't figure out which one has had the fry as they are still all the same size!
The fy wont eat each other i think youll have to find out later unless you confused platy with female swordtail @emeraldking can help i think. Pics? I never had platy or swordtail fry only some guppy fry lol

You really don't need to move the fry...platys breed prolifically and often, the females can store sperm for months.
After you have a few dozen, and they keep coming, you probably won't mind a few fry being eaten...which might not even happen.
If you have lots of hiding places with plants/deco, adults and fry can be kept together with no problems.

Last edited:
You really don't need to move the fry...platys breed prolifically and often, the females can store sperm for months.
After you have a few dozen, and they keep coming, you probably won't mind a few fry being eaten...which might not even happen.
If you have lots of hiding places with plants/deco, adults and fry can be kept together with no problems.
my tank is fairly new and all plants are either already dead or growing in, the fry do not get eaten by adults even the big swordtails do not touch fry. yeah they dont get eaten if you feed them well with good food. i think just move fry to breeder and feed powdered food if you are uncomfortable

I had the same experience when my platy had fry. She had 14 and 12 made it to adulthood. I gave 6 away but it looks like one of the platy is going to have more. :fish:

Update. Manage to get a picture of one..not sure how many are in the tank. Platy or swordtail?? Can't be more than a day old right?
20210215_204628.jpg

I have no idea, all I see in the 2nd pic is half a fish :S

Ah, there's the rest of him/her!
I have no clue which fish it is, but look at that big ole eye, lol...it's more eye than head...that's a good pic

Give it a week or so and then it's more clear wether it's a platy or a swordtail. But if you have pictures of the females, it could rule something out.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back