Four Unexplained Deaths. (pics Included) *update*

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

It doesn`t sound like Malawi Bloat they haven`t had long stringy white faeces and I`m almost certain it would hit 3 catfish over night from what I`ve read.

I think it points to some kind of poisoning what I don`t know , maybe like Brewyn has said the Nitrite has risen because of the bio load ?

The reason I asked about the rocks was some kinds can contain heavy metals and sandstone can contain high amounts of quartz I think which could poison the fish ? Also incorrect PH can also poison the fish.

Can`t believe no ones replyed in the emergency section, maybe post again but fill in the cut and paste form and re-post your pics ?

When posting a request for help can you please include the following info

1. Water parameters. (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, PH, temp', Hardness etc)
2. A full description of the fishes symptoms.
3. How often you do water changes and how much.
4. Any chemicals and treatments you add to the water.
5. What tank mates are in the tank.
6. Tank size.
7. Finally Have you recently added any new fish?

You may cut and paste the template below and submit in your post:

Request Help

Tank size:
pH:
ammonia:
nitrite:
nitrate:
kH:
gH:
tank temp:

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):

Volume and Frequency of water changes:

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:

Tank inhabitants:

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):

Exposure to chemicals:

Digital photo (include if possible):

you cant see any white flecks on the fish or a fungus? I think you mentioned it may be a disease which another fish may have been carrying????

considering we always get slammed for idle chat, no one can say were not there for our fellow hobbiests!!!

its very unlikely, but you mentioned lots of air bubbles, and this is going to confuse some folk now, but you CAN, over oxoginate a tank and kill the fish.

Request Help

Tank size:
pH: 7.8
ammonia: 0
nitrite: now 0.25
nitrate: 5
kH: 15
gH: 10
tank temp: 79.0

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior): No lesions, breathing rapidly, some at top of tank, some at bottom. Difficulty swimming, those fish at the top seem to wobble when they swim, the fish at the bottom are propping themselves against rocks to keep from rolling over. Clamped fin, rapid onset for the majority of tank inhabitants, they just ate @ 12:30. (2.5 hrs ago).

Volume and Frequency of water changes: 50% weekly.

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: foam inserts, ceramic rings, no carbon.

Tank inhabitants: those listed in signature, minus 1 lab, 1 acei, 1 demasoni, 3 pictus.

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): none

Exposure to chemicals: none

I`d post that again in the emergency section with a new topic to try and get a better response.

what did you feed them, and i think that last post was meant for the emergency post?

Sorry, New Life Spectrum cichlid formula.

did she mention using a dechlorinator? sorry if I missed it if she did.

also, have there been any major rains, flooding in your area? if so the water company will slam massive amounts of chlorine etc into the system to purge any disruption.

Just a thought i dont know much about python things but does it add water straight from the tap and i think 50% is to much unless you have water problems.

quick edit iknow in the uk the water is rammed full of chemicals on a friday ready for the weekend.

did think of that, but with u being in the usa didn't think they took care of you lot as much as united utilities takes care of us :p

Yes I used dechlorinator, and no there haven't been any major rains, beside my other 2 tanks are fine, so I don't think it's the tap water. Have always done 50% water changes w/o any problems. In the future I'll cut back though. A python is just a hose connected to the tap so I don't have to lug buckets around. And I always try to get the water the same temp from the tap as the tank.

lmao we have natural springs, we have reservoirs, we HAVE MORE THEN YOU EVER WILL :p stuck on an island must suck real bad sometimes LMAO

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back