Food Tech Gcse Research

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

OohFeeshy

It's only forever; not long at all...
Reaction score
I got the eight design briefs we could choose from the other day, so I wondered if anybody had any really cool ideas :) I most likely will pick this one-

'Design and make a range of nautical themed buffet foods for a large business's end of year party. At least one of these foods mucst be aimed at people following a low fat diet.'

Note, nautical themed doesn't mean it all has to be fish. It means fish, and producs shaped like nautical items.

I'll probably want at least five products.

The products must involve as many skills as possible to make.

The ideas must be able to be developed, for instance, by using different fillings, toppings, etc.

I was thinking of sushi, but time and refridgeration issues mean I might not... However, I'll see what I can come up with on that note. If for instance it will be popular with people in the lesson after food tech, then there should be no problems.

As a sort of 'on the side', I love the idea of making my own mini goldfish crackers ^_^ So that will probably be included, perhaps with different flavours of dough, or different coatings.

So generally, if anyone has any cool ideas, that would be great :) They don't need to be nautically themed yet, that can come later, but I know some people have some really groovy ideas.

well nautical and low fat will be easy to combine as things such as tuna cantain very little fat....

i trained as a chef many years ago so i`ll have a think on this on tonight and get back to ya with recipies and instructions :D

need more info... what facilities will be avalable???
as in will it be a warm buffet or cold?

Facilities available, well, nothing too high tech becasue it's school based, but obviously all the basic stuff plus some extra stuff lying around. As for hot or cold, whichever really, cold would possibly be easier as it means no reheating would be required.

'Design and make a range of nautical themed buffet foods for a large business's end of year party

I was thinking of sushi
This is a difficult one because the scenario you have been provided with is very sketchy, if not pretty much blank. There are lots of different types of businesses.

What sort of business is it? How large is "large"? Where is it based? (How much would such thoughts actually affect your school grade??)

Your "target eaters" palates would, in reality, differ greatly depending on what sort of "large business" you are catering for. For example, if your "large business" is a London based, White Collar, computer software or banking/insurance firm (or something similar) then you could probably consider more exotic food stuffs (like your suggestion of sushi....)

If, however your "large business" is a Blue Collar, factory/warehouse based, or similar, you would probably be better served considering more traditional buffet foods.

I don't mean to sound "hoity toity" but, from my experience at least, peoples backgrounds and upbringings seriously has an affect on the types of foods they enjoy, and I would assume this must be considered when planning your menu/buffet.

I am probably thinking way too much "out of the box" but i hope i helped

steve

(BigIan..I always wanted to be a chef (still do now to be honest). Why is not your "trade" now?? Would you recommend it? Can you recommend any training resources?? cheers.)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back