Followup on my 'red tide' problem

FishFriend

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wanted to post what I'm doing to rid my tank of the 'red-tinged water' as previously posted "Symptom of a water, filter, or light problem?" No amount of cleaning or water changes cleared the water.

Based on a question I had about undergravel filters, it became apparent that my problem was due to the gunk that had collected under the filter - yuck!

'Dolphin' recommended a complete tank cleaning. So... I stipped the 40 gal tank down and sterilized everything with strong saltwater solution (including the gravel, etc.).

To provide a temporary home for my lovely finned friends (assortment listed at end of this msg), I borrowed a 29 gallon tank and setup from a fellow FishFriend. On his recommendation, I set back up the 40 gallon - sans the nasty undergravel filter - and added an additional filter (along with a couple sponges seeded with my friend's 'cycled' water). I moved most of my hardier fishes back into their 40 gal to begin the cycling process (leaving the tin foil barbs, shark, cories, and algae eaters in their temp 29 gal home).

The revamped 40 gallon seems to be doing quite nicely - no ammonia, no nitrites, and the nitrates are rising - this after 5 days of being reset and fish added.

Here's a question - even though I am doing daily water change (approx 15 gal at a time) on the 29 gallon tank (temp home), I simply can't keep the ammonia out of the water.

Is it time to move my larger (and more fragile) fish back to the 40 gal or will their size and additional waste reak havoc with the cycling process? My friend seems to think my 40 gal should be set up for a minimum of 3 wks before it will cycle completely and be ready for more fish - I worry that the 29 gal is an unfit home and am looking for 2nd (and more!) opinions...

tia for your thoughts!

Population:
2 tin foil barbs (approx 7.5")
1 bala shark (appros 6.5")
3 danios
1 harlequin rasborra (I had more but the others have died over the years and I can't find any large enough not to be consumed by the barbs and shark)
1 black neon (ditto above)
3 black-skirted tetras
1 black cherry barb
2 tetras (can't remember their name - they're the ones with a bit of yellow on their fins)
3 Cory cats and
3 chinese algae eaters

You could try ammo-chips in the filter of the 29.
I plan on doing that w/ my q/t today. ;)

The 29g is far too small for the tinfoils and bala shark,these fish require tanks of at least 75 gallons and for full grown tinfoils a 100g would be better.I would place them back into the 40g and just keep a eye on the parameters for a week or so and keep feedings to a small ammount once every two days.From the sounds of things the cycle is complete but when adding large fish it is best to test every other day or so and be prepared to do water changes if nessasary.

i would say so long as it is temporary and you do water chznges then the fish will be ok but then they might fight. if you have no choise tho then its inevitable.

Hi FishFriend

As CFC has all ready said, you should move the fish back to the 40 gall tank.
You may get a small rise in the NH4 and NO2 readings, but these will soon pass.

And also as CFC has said, you should look at getting a larger home for your fish.

Glad to hear that the strip down went ok.

cat fish crazy said:
The 29g is far too small for the tinfoils and bala shark,these fish require tanks of at least 75 gallons and for full grown tinfoils a 100g would be better.
Txs all for the recommendations! It is so helpful to draw on the experience of others! I've moved all fish into the 40 gal and will keep a careful watch on the water in the tank.

Catfish - you mentioned the need for a bigger tank for the tinfoils and bala - I've had the tinfoils for about 5 yrs now (approx 2.5" when aquired) and the bala for about 3 yrs (approx 2" when acquired). Unfortunately, setting up a larger tank is not an option at this time :(

I got into fish keeping 5 yrs ago and was certainly naive regarding care and how to select fish for the tank according to their anticipated growth! My first fishes were purchased at a pet store not specializing in fish - hence the sales individual did a lousy job of helping me decide on the population. I have since found a *great* fish store that has a knowledgeable, helpful staff. For anyone in the Knoxville, TN area, I heartily recommend 'The Aquarium' on Papermill Drive.

Again, thanks to all for recommendations - I'll be browsing through this forum and try to be of assistance when I can!

Cheers all...

Most reactions

Back