Fluval Venezia 190 Lighting Unit

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Mojo66

Reaction score
My Fluval lighting unit has suddenly stopped working. It flickers when I switch it on, but the lights won't stay on, and the little red light on top near the switch flashes. What's likely to be wrong with it, and how can I fix it? Admittedly I haven't tried replacing the tubes, but as there are two of them I feel it's unlikely they'd both have failed at the same time. (I never replace them together). Thank you.

What type of lights are they, fluorescent or LED?

If they are fluorescent, does the ballast have a starter? With this type of light, if the strater needs replacing the lights behave as you describe. But if it's the type of fluorescent that doesn't have a starter or LED, the cause is something else.

They're fluorescent tubes. I can't see a starter anywhere, would I have to dismantle the unit to find this?

There are two types of ballast - magnetic (which has a starter) and electronic (which doesn't). However, with magnetic ballast, the starter can be inside the sealed unit - my old Juwel tank lights had the starter inside the light unit.

You have 2 choices.
Either cut the light unit open and if there's a starter see if replacing that works. But you would have to be careful to reseal the unit so it's water tight. But there's a good chance it's the ballast that's failed, in which case you would have to replace the ballast.
This is do-able provided you have the tools to open the light unit and reseal it properly.
The other alternative is to replace the fluorescent tubes with retrofit LED tubes. The tubes come with plastic end caps shaped like the ends of fluorescent tubes which enables them to be fit in the the fluorescent tube holders. They don't get the power from the original holders, they are just used to support the tubes which have their own power supply.
For more information about the Superfish LEDs (Kelvin rating, PAR etc) you can download the LED brochure from here https://aquadistri.com/superfish/

Reactions: 663
Thank you for that, I'm not confident about opening up the unit and resealing it again, so I'll look into an alternative, the Leddy looks like a good idea!

I have the AquaEl tubes over my main tank. I like them :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back