Fluval Fx5 Vs Rena Filstar Xp4

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

I got some information on the Smart pump technology. Im waiting for more feedback but so far this is what I got.

-----------------------------------------
"JGray said:
The Smart-Chip technology of the FX5 filter is designed to recognize any type of problem with the filter, should a problem arise. It also will shut down the filter approximately (2) minutes after start-up, to allow the system to self-evacuate any air which is trapped in the canister. The impeller speed will always remain constant, whether the flow rate is at it's maximum, or reduced, using the flow control valves. When, and if the filter does become clogged, the impeller will not spin faster. We do not recommend reducing the voltage to the motor, in doing so, we assume no liability for any damages, and the warranty will be voided. I hope this information helps.

--------------------------------------------

"JGray said:
Is there a certain amount of time before it shuts down when it recognizes a problem? Also does it turn back on after a certain amount of time?

Sorry to get so technical but how exactly does the chip recognize a problem?

"Hagens Support said:
As soon as it recognizes a potential damaging problem, it will shut itself down. The unit will not turn itself back on until the problem has been corrected. The chip recognizes a problem when there is a reduced flow rate, or an inconsistency of the flow rate.

Not to sure about this "Smart Pump Technology". Seems to be trying to do something that it doesn't seem it can do. Im going to ask how it monitors the flow rate but I can't see how it can. Unless it measures some electro magnetic field or something and can determin the speed of the impeller but evan if that was possible, which it may be, its seems a little shaky.

Im going to talk to my buddy who is an electronics engineer to see what could be possible about this chip.

What do you all think?

I don't think I ever mentioned anything more about the air bubble problem I was having with my Fx5.

It appears to have been the heavily clogged micron pad th at was the culprit. I removed that and the filter has been running strong with no air at all. Where the air was actually come from, well, im going to guess cavitation was causing excessive air build up if thats possible.

Well its been about 3 months now with the xp4 and the Fx5.

The Fx5 seems to always have air in the canistor for some reason, mainly after some fine media starts to get clogged, the filter will some how injest air from some where. I havn't figured it out yet.

Due to the high flow rate and the small center baskets, they do seem to clog up quicker.

The Xp4 seems to run strong without issues at all except for when setting it up after cleaning it. It takes hours for all the air to escape the filter. Rena has not perfected this yet.

The Fx5 seems to do a great job at purging the air though.

I Know of one chap that just runs the hagen noodle/roll bio media in all the center baskets. That might reduce the small bubble/cativation.
Assuming you're not already running the canister like this.

I have been running my FX5 for 8 months now, man what a filter, I have mine in an 4ftx18"x18" tank and 205 in 2ftx12"x18" i must say initially i put polishing pad in FX5 and it clogged up in a week with a massive reduction in water flow however i took polishing filter out, really don't need them as this filter does quite a good job with its own sponge filters, the water eddy's it creates in tank are very good and the fish love it they can either go surfing at the top or drop to bottom in still area, it does pick up a lot of air when it shuts down every 24 hrs it shoves loads out, i can only assume that this is caused by impeller cavitation as there are no leaks in system, i clean out my filter every 4 weeks and wash sponges with tap water to get all crap out, i have filter media in top basket and bio mix in middle and bottom baskets, my tank is always pristine and since i put it in fish are happy and healthy. As for the smaller tank thats spot on as well 205 is faultless, in my estimation you can not over filter, and i have both pumps running at full tilt with no problems, i used to have the fluval plus 2 and 4 range in tanks but they are rubbish always full of crap and motors sticking, do your fish a favor get them some good filtration.

Ya my Fx5 is doing great at filtering the water. It does have to be from cavitation I believe because there is no spot for the air to get in when the media starts to clog.

Personally, a filter should not have to shut down during its cycle to releive air. I think the impeller is a little to aggresive for what its being used for.

Rena Filstar XP4 Update

I recently removed the XP4 from my 29 gallon took it apart to see how it was working. As I see in almost all filters, the "spunges" were mostly clean except for the filter floss I put in and the scrubing pad that comes with the xp4. Those were filthy. The scrubbing pad seems to be a one time use piece. It falls apart after you remove it when its has been used.

The filter has been running quiet minus a slight hum that seems to be reduced when putting a towel or shirt under the base of the unit. I have not had any issues with the impeller yet, although its only been a few months. For the first month I was unplugging it and plugging it back in many times a day to see if the impeller would brake like it has said to do in the past. No problems yet.

The bypass is near zero that I see from dismantling the filter. Seems to be doing a great job and trapping everything.

Its not so great at removing air from the canistor in a short period of time. It takes days for it to completly remove all the air sometimes which can make it slightly noiser.

The spray bar I think is a very restrictive piece of equipment. It doesn't look like there is 400+ GPH flowing through it when its running.
In the past there has been issues of the spray bar "whistling". I havn't had that issue although its been under the water pointing up to agitate the surface.

Forgot to mention something important.

When I switched to the Rena Xp4 from my AquaClear 110, after a week or so the water became cloudy and I could not clear it up even after many amny water changes within the week. After removing the xp4 and installing my Fluval 304, the water cleared up within a week or so. I can't tell why this happends but my guess is it may have something to do with the degrading fine filter spunge.

Most reactions

Back