Flourish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Aaron Muth

Reaction score
I recently bought Seachem flourish and noticed that the seal was already opened with some orange stains along the rim. Iā€™ve never had this before and on the back it says refrigerate 3 months after opening. Should I use it or just be safe and buy another one? I just dosed my first dosage of flourish excel and if I just use excel ever week will that boost growth in my plants?

If the Flourish Comprehensive Supplement is still a clear brown/orange colour, it should be OK. Refrigeration from the start is advisable, as you use so little the bottle can often last for months and after using this for over ten years now I find it does tend to deteriorate after a few months.

Since you mention Flourish Excel, I will just caution you that this is not a safe product to use for fish. It contains glutaraldehyde, a highly toxic disinfectant used in substances like embalming fluid, anti-freeze, and ship's ballasts to kill bacteria. It will kill some plants even at recommended dosage, and the fact that it may kill algae should warn us. If it should get overdosed, it can kill plants, fish and bacteria. It is used in hospitals to disinfect instruments, which should tell us something of its toxicity to living organisms.

There will be sufficient natural CO2 occurring in most aquaria from the decomposition of organics primarily in the substrate, plus the respiration of fish, plants and some bacteria.

If the Flourish Comprehensive Supplement is still a clear brown/orange colour, it should be OK. Refrigeration from the start is advisable, as you use so little the bottle can often last for months and after using this for over ten years now I find it does tend to deteriorate after a few months.

Since you mention Flourish Excel, I will just caution you that this is not a safe product to use for fish. It contains glutaraldehyde, a highly toxic disinfectant used in substances like embalming fluid, anti-freeze, and ship's ballasts to kill bacteria. It will kill some plants even at recommended dosage, and the fact that it may kill algae should warn us. If it should get overdosed, it can kill plants, fish and bacteria. It is used in hospitals to disinfect instruments, which should tell us something of its toxicity to living organisms.

There will be sufficient natural CO2 occurring in most aquaria from the decomposition of organics primarily in the substrate, plus the respiration of fish, plants and some bacteria.
Ok thanks for letting me know. Flourish was a brownish-yellow color. If I shouldnā€™t use this, do you have any tips for carpeting plants? I would just like to get a nice abundance of plants in my tank.

Ok thanks for letting me know. Flourish was a brownish-yellow color. If I shouldnā€™t use this, do you have any tips for carpeting plants? I would just like to get a nice abundance of plants in my tank.

I don't think there is much danger to use the Flourish Comprehensive but the nutrient value may be diminished. Orange/yellow/brown is the normal colour. As my bottles get old (several months) the liquid becomes basically black, and I usually toss it at this stage because Seachem told me it is likely gone off then. Of course, any and all of these substances added to the water get inside fish, so keeping them minimal is always advisable no matter what substance it is--including conditioners.

Light is the prime issue for "carpet" plants. And getting light that intense is usually harmful to the fish. The only "carpet" like plants I bother with are pygmy chain swords, and moss on wood.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back