Floating Plant Con

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cupofjoel

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Okay, so I jumped on board about floating plants and the benefits they add to the tank. My 5 gallon betta tank is now completely covered with floating plants and I've noticed one issue...surface bio-film. Do I need to take out the floating plants and clean the surface scum off or can I leave it as is? I'm worried because we need that gas exchange that happens on the surface. I also understand that a HOB filter can break up the surface as the outflow water hits the water surface, will this be enough gas exchange?

This is a protein film, and it does seem more common in planted tanks, but it can occur or not occur in planted or non-planted tanks. I had it for a time in one of my tanks, for several months, then it disappeared.

Allowed to remain and increase is as you mention a risk for the gas exchange. My method of dealing with it was to invert the water changer holding it just under the surface, and with a bit of practice you can have it skim off this film without fully filling with water...if that makes sense. Tedious, but it works.

Laying paper towels on the surface never worked for me.

A third method I have used is to add a surface skimmer to the canister filter intake. This continually pulls the surface film into the filter. It works, but plant leaves (whole or little bits) can clog it. And worse for me, I lost two or three otos in this because they swam in and then not being able to swim backwards, were stuck and died. I took the attachments off.

This is a protein film, and it does seem more common in planted tanks, but it can occur or not occur in planted or non-planted tanks. I had it for a time in one of my tanks, for several months, then it disappeared.

Allowed to remain and increase is as you mention a risk for the gas exchange. My method of dealing with it was to invert the water changer holding it just under the surface, and with a bit of practice you can have it skim off this film without fully filling with water...if that makes sense. Tedious, but it works.

Laying paper towels on the surface never worked for me.

A third method I have used is to add a surface skimmer to the canister filter intake. This continually pulls the surface film into the filter. It works, but plant leaves (whole or little bits) can clog it. And worse for me, I lost two or three otos in this because they swam in and then not being able to swim backwards, were stuck and died. I took the attachments off.

So far the paper towels have been working for me, but I'll have to put in a surface skimmer.

Okay, so I jumped on board about floating plants and the benefits they add to the tank. My 5 gallon betta tank is now completely covered with floating plants and I've noticed one issue...surface bio-film. Do I need to take out the floating plants and clean the surface scum off or can I leave it as is? I'm worried because we need that gas exchange that happens on the surface. I also understand that a HOB filter can break up the surface as the outflow water hits the water surface, will this be enough gas exchange?
Unless in excess it's good. I have layers on most my tanks. Tanks with less flow are more prone. I personally have sponge filters or with HOB. A air stone. It's the bubbles popping from below that is the best gas exchange. NOT flow.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back