Fitler

Qays

Fish Herder
Joined
Mar 29, 2006
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Luton, Britain
Why are external filters superior to internals? Whats the difference? I know externals are easier too clean, but thats not really a problem unless your lazy.
 
Externals are larger so have greater media space and more powerfull pumps. To have a internal with the same power and capacity you would need a filter that filled an entire corner of the tank (just look at the larger Juwel models).
 
Why are external filters superior to internals? Whats the difference? I know externals are easier too clean, but thats not really a problem unless your lazy.
Compare weekly or twice weekly maintenence with once every 4+ months !!! (That said, I monitor flow rate, water and clarity - and if need be will do something sooner).

Massive difference if you ask me :D on top of what CFC said above.

Ps: just to add - i will never ever go back to internals again (unless tank is really too small and under 10 gallons) - my tanks are looking immeasurably better since the switches.
 
cool! Any recommendations for a 10 gal tank?

btw, most internal filters need monthly maintenance
 
Definitely not in my experience. I've never been able to just let a filter run on a 10 gallon without compromising water / filtration quality. Fluvals above all - their little sponges are so tiny their is little capacity for anything on there.

You could consider an Eheim Ecco 2231 or Fluval 105. I'm not sure of other brands - you'll have to shop around and just see what the smallest of their internal filters are. If an outlfow is too heavy - the spray bar can be adjusted in a few ways to optimise it.
 
Actually, I own a Juwel tank and have never had a problem with the filter. I clean the sponges about once a month and replace the white filter floss weekly. The powerhead is all but silent and I check the impeller bi-weekly. No problems as of yet

I have helped out people with external Ehiem and Fluval filters both of which have had problems with clogging, poor flow rates and noise, as well as having priming problems.

IMHO I suppose that it's horses for courses but I think there's a great deal negative feeling with internal filters.

The only main disadvantage is that they DO take up a fair amount of space in you aqaurium. As far as efficiency goes I honestly think that a well maintained internal is as easy to keep as an external and just as efficient (with freshwater tropical set ups!)

Just my opinion.
 
I honestly think that once you've had an external filer to compare it to - you will see the vast difference. I've had Internal Juwel Filters for years and even though have mostly been understocked, found I had to clean them weekly. Though I don't doubt that you clean yours monthly - good for you if you can get away with it :)

I'd be interested to hear about poor flow rates from Eheims though -_- unless there's a kink in the hose or loops in the hose or the filter incredibly over clogged, I find this fairly hard to understand.
 
Honest, I have no probs with me Juwel. If you fancy a holiday in sunny Devon, then you are more than welcome to visit and examine! I have to say that it's probably down to quality of the H2O (although not perfect) which seems to suit my filters.
I used to live in Essex (until two years ago), and everyone had problems with filters, and everyone I knew had externals. So perhaps that's why.
 
Internal filters have always done fine for me, as long as you have a black background and a plant too hide it, it is a great filter. I believe externals make alot of nice and outside tank pollution. I prefer evcerything compacted away in the tank neatly.

My interpet filter has never needed cleaning every week. Maybe juwels arnt so great?
 
strange that this thread has popped up, i was thinking of starting a similar one myself. i have 2 juwel tanks, one with the jumbo juwel filter and another with a medium. they are both huge and i think they are a pain to clean (especially the massive one in my delta which is right at the back corner of the tank and hard to reach). im definatley considering trying an external eheim for my smaller tank first to see how it goes, mainly so the filter can be hidden (in cupboard) and so i can have easy access for cleaning it.
 
strange that this thread has popped up, i was thinking of starting a similar one myself. i have 2 juwel tanks, one with the jumbo juwel filter and another with a medium. they are both huge and i think they are a pain to clean (especially the massive one in my delta which is right at the back corner of the tank and hard to reach). im definatley considering trying an external eheim for my smaller tank first to see how it goes, mainly so the filter can be hidden (in cupboard) and so i can have easy access for cleaning it.

Its probably a pain too clean as it is not detatchable. Internal filters that are detatchable are easier too clean as you can take them off their suction cup bracket and give them a clean in aquarium water.
 
Its probably a pain too clean as it is not detatchable. Internal filters that are detatchable are easier too clean as you can take them off their suction cup bracket and give them a clean in aquarium water.
Apart from when they dump a whole lot of disgusting gunk in your tank as you pull it out. I still think that unless someone's tried an external, they really don't know what they're missing ! I was the same ;)
 
My one doesnt release much gunk, it releases small particles which just get sucked back in. Thanks for the help!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top