Fishless Cycling Question

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

skyharbor

Reaction score
I have just added a 20 gallon to my collection and I am employing the widom of 'fishless cycling' that I learned about from this site!

I bought some of the .97 Wal-Mart stuff. It says 'Clear Ammonia' on the bottle and the ingredients are softened water, ammonia, and chelating agent.

The chelating agent is what threw me...I am not sure what it is/means.

Thanks!

rrdrummer5 said:
generally its better to let the tank cycle instead of throwing chemicals in that can hurt the beneficial bacteria.
???

I am using the ammonia to cycle. Without it, the bacteria aren't going to grow.

I am perplexed by your response. :huh:

well that isn't true if u do a water test then u should find that there are already wast chemicals in the water and if there arn't any then just put some crushed flake food in there it'll soon rot and turn into ammonia.

That's how i started my cycle.

I don't know about the chelating agent, I didn't want to put chemicals in my tank if I wasn't sure about them. Walmart carries Sea mist ammonia, which has no chelating agent added. It's a white/clear bottle with a really cheap green label.

If you shake it and it foams, throw it out (or at least never use it for fish).

i think its safe enough, i use it to start my cycle.
i use household ammonia it is only 9% ammonia and the rest is water so i would say its ok :)

You are right with the ammonia being used for a fishless cycle. I too am confused by the first response.

I don't really know what the chelating agent is. Probably better to be safe and find another pure one if you can. What do you get if you do the shake test as mentioned by nonot8946?

I'm pretty sure that chelating agents are binders that help keep the ammonia mixture "mixed". Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that. Shake the bottle and if you don't get bubbles (a few that last a couple seconds are ok, that's just oxidization) then it is fine. You DO NOT want ammonia that has surfactants. Someone mentioned Sea Mist ammonia from Walmart. That is what I use. Just add enough to raise the level to around 4 to 6 ppm and then check the water regularly to keep track of the progress.
Since you said you "added a 20 gallon to my collection", I assume you already have tanks running and cycled. I would suggest taking some filter media from one of the established tanks to "seed" the new tank. that will definitely speed the process.

We used to use a 'chelating agent' when I worked in a chem lab (no notta meth lab!). It was used when we were mixing chemicals that really didn't want to be mixed. I wouldn't drink the stuff, but I doubt it will pose a problem during a fishless cycle. It wasn't harmful to get on your skin and the emergency directions on the label was simple 'rinse thoroughly with water, if pain persists, see a doctor' something like that. It was one of the non-worry about chemicals we used.

I agree that in the first response there was a mild misunderstanding which created a comment which seems to have thrown everyone off a bit. No worries, your on the right track.

As far as I know a chelating agent is an organic compound that can form multiple bonds to a metal ion. It could be that the chelating agent mentioned on the bottle is added to sofen the water used. IMO safe for your tank.

Most reactions

Back