Fishless Cycle - How Long Before You Start To See Nitrites?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

chris30

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I'm following the fishless cycle thread found on here added 3ppm of ammonia on 29th October it's a brand new external filter with a used tank.

Coming up to 3 weeks into the cycle and still no nitrites and ammonia is still 3ppm.

Just wondered from other people's experience when I may start to see some change? I appreciate the whole process could take 5-6 weeks but as said just curious as to what other people experienced.

Regards
Chris

I would expect nitrite to appear within 3 weeks.  In my experience it was 18 days although it can be earlier or later for others.

Ok thanks, I had just been reading a thread where soft water was stalling their cycle beginning to wonder if something like that is happening to mine

boost the temperature up to 83 or higher.   what is your ph reading?  a low ph can stall the cycle

Apparently the water in our area is moderately soft results in attached pic, could this stall my cycle?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 182
No, your pH and hardness are fine.  I usually aim for 80-82°F for a cycle.
Be patient a bit longer and give it a few more days.  If you still haven't seen a fall in ammonia by 25 days of cycling then come back and tell us.

Anyone had any experience with tetra safe start or dr Tim's one and only wonder if either would help the cycle

Your slightly soft water and ph are fine, should not stall the cycle.

Did you ad dechlorinator to the tap water when you put it in the tank when you first set up?

Also, have you done any water changes?

Have you any live plants?

What test kit are you using? 
Liquid or paper strip kit?

Just trying to figure out any clues as to why you have not seen any nitrites yet, usually mean bacteria is forming extremely slowly then suddenly they will grow quickly, this could be why you are not seeing nitrites yet.

Give it another few days and then let us know of results.

In my case I saw nitrites within 2 weeks.

As for Tetra Safe Start, these are pretty good but can be hit or miss if live bacteria inside bottle is viable.
Usually due to expiry dates, LFS may have stored wrongly, transportation of bottles all can have a effect on bacteria inside these bottles.

Dr Tim's One and Only is basically the number one choice amongst members of this forum.

I have not tried either of these myself, so I cannot comment really from experience at all. Someone will comment about either one of these.

API and Nutrafin brands of cycle bacteria tends to be a waste of time and money, with some rare exceptions. I actually have a bottle of Nutrafin cycle when I bought my tank set up, came free with the tank, still unopened and in cupboard! 
smile2.gif

Hi thanks for your response

I used tetra aquasafe to treat the tap water

Haven't done any water changes as didn't think I needed to during the cycle until right at the end?

Using API liquid test kit

No live plants

chris30 said:
Anyone had any experience with tetra safe start or dr Tim's one and only wonder if either would help the cycle

Dr Tim's works well but is hard to get hold of in the UK.  I was lucky enough to get the last bottle before the UK supplier went bust!  The official price was around £11 for a 2oz bottle but you can't get it for that price now.  If you're willing to pay then it will cycle your tank in about 1-2 weeks.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Oh well done, I completely missed that one!  That's a good price.  That bottle will cycle a tank up to 114 litres.

I did see dr Tim's on amazon yesterday was about to link you up.

We'll today I tested the ammonia and it seems to have dropped to around 0.50 ppm possibly even 0.25 (I can't tell properly but it's definitely more yellow than green like it was)

But that said I still have no nitrites? I know I need nitrites to see a drop in ammonia usually so where did this go?

I've been testing daily at this point mainly cus I'm curious and want to see change no matter how small and last nite I left the tubes out and the nitrite test had turned a light purple is this because I left it over night? I know I'm supposed to leave it 5 mins which is always blue which indicates 0ppm on nitrites.

Sorry for the small essay I'm a bit confused, what do people suggest I do now?

Regards

Chris

Edit: I think the ammonia test is actually 0ppm the more I look at it

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back