Fish To Fit Fantasy Themed Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Vethian

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
like the title suggest, what fish would fit best in a fantasy themed tank?  My son, after seeing my tank, wants to set one up too.  His design.  He wants the whole castles and dragons type fantasy tank.  Maybe a hilly scene with a castle...or a 3d background that resembles a medieval castle wall.  The tank he has is a 29 gallon / 110 liter tank.  30 x 12 x 18in (76 x 30 x 46cm)

Hmmm.... now this is a challenge, but an interesting one.  I'll be back. 
book.gif

What are your water conditions?

I've always thought gouramis look a bit like dragons. :dunno: You could get a blue one or a red one or a gold one if you wanted.

Yes, do get back to us with more details of your water (hardness is most crucial).

(I have a couple of ideas, but don't want to commit myself without knowing what water we're dealing with :) )

I have a soft water with a low PH that can be elevated with rock if need be.  My main tank sits around 7.6 ph.  It is well water with copper.

TallTree01 said:
I've always thought gouramis look a bit like dragons.
Dunno.gif
You could get a blue one or a red one or a gold one if you wanted.

I love gourami.  In my main tank I have dwarf gourami.  

Do you know the specific hardness and pH values of your tap water after sitting for 24 hours?

I will do pour some off tonight and test tomorrow for pH...but I cannot test for hardness.  My well was just tested and hardness was 6.4

If your water is 6.4 dGh, then that would mean that your tap water is on the high side of 'moderately hard'.  That's actually a really good spot to be because it means that most fish in the trade will be fine in that water.

Classification hardness..     in mg/L..      in mmol/L..     in dGH/°dH..        in gpg......        in ppm
Soft.................................     0–60......       0–0.60........      0-3.37..........    0-3.50......      less than 60
Moderately hard.............     61–120..       0.61–1.20...      3.38-6.74.....     3.56-7.01..     60-120[/b][/b]
Hard...............................     121–180..     1.21–1.80..       6.75–10.11..      7.06-10.51..   120-180
Very hard.......................       ≥ 181..         ≥ 1.81..             ≥ 10.12..            ≥ 10.57..        > 180

good to know, thank you!  It taste good too.  :)

I would go with a small group of red lizard whiptails (they look very like oriental dragons, to my eyes anyway!) and a shoal of X ray tetras, for the 'knights in shining armour' :)

fluttermoth said:
I would go with a small group of red lizard whiptails (they look very like oriental dragons, to my eyes anyway!) and a shoal of X ray tetras, for the 'knights in shining armour'
smile.png

I like the look of the pleco, but I believe they grow too large for my tank.  the tetras look nice.  

Vethian said:

I would go with a small group of red lizard whiptails (they look very like oriental dragons, to my eyes anyway!) and a shoal of X ray tetras, for the 'knights in shining armour'
smile.png

I like the look of the pleco, but I believe they grow too large for my tank.  the tetras look nice.  

I think you'll be ok to have a small group of the lovely catfish as they grow to about 4.4" and are largely inactive according to SF site -

Red Lizard Catfish - Rineloricaria sp

EDIT - ah I see Akasha posted at same time with similar link
laugh.png

very cool...i thought they would get be 6 inches.  i do like the coloring.

edit: I see they range in price...but, basically $50 each.  So, maybe 2 - 3 at most.  :)

great minds think alike Ch4rlie :D

even if they got to 6 inches Vethian they'd still be okay in a tank that size. Those type of catfish arn't fast swimmers so they don't need masses of space to zoom around in. My BN lives is about 18 inches square of tank space. He only comes out into the open to eat. The rest of the time he's hiding under his wood 'cave' 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back