fish that are fun but compatible with angelfish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Navfish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Just as the title suggests....

Also i have a 37g with
1x juvenile angelfish
4x peppermint tetras (planning to get 3 more)
2x black mollies

What fish would you recommend?

I do not want anything like mollies or guppies but more interesting...

I have more fish that are bottom swimmers and while angelfish are considered top dwellers, my angelfish prefer staying at the bottom, exploring the plants

Lemon tetras (Hyphessobrycon pulchripinnis). They are beautiful, active, somewhat schooling, peaceful and large enough not to be eaten by the angels. When in largish groups (10 and above, the more the better) they show very interesting group dynamics. They are also inexpensive and easy to find.

IMG_0670.jpg

What is the hardness of the water. We will need that in order to suggest fish species.

Lemon tetras (Hyphessobrycon pulchripinnis). They are beautiful, active, somewhat schooling, peaceful and large enough not to be eaten by the angels. When in largish groups (10 and above, the more the better) they show very interesting group dynamics. They are also inexpensive and easy to find.

View attachment 309499
wow, those are gorgeous!

you can go to the site for your local water provider...you might find it there....or else just call them and ask
you could also buy a GH test kit

Before getting any new species, you need to increase the tetras you now have, and this means 10-12 of them in total rather than 7. This is especially important here as there is a sedate long-fin fish present, and the angelfish could well become the target of any tetra kept in too small a shoal. Small groups increase aggressive behaviour even in fish normally not aggressive by nature.

I would not add more different species, subject to what bottom fish you say you have but don't give us the species and numbers.

And I agree with @Fishmanic on tracking down the GH, and you should know the pH as well.

Depending on tank size and water hardness, I have Bolivian Rams and Keyhole cichlids with mine. Works very well.

Attachments

• DSC_1918.JPG
    DSC_1918.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC_1915.JPG
    DSC_1915.JPG
    169.7 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC_1837.JPG
    DSC_1837.JPG
    296.7 KB · Views: 10

Most reactions

trending