Fish Tank Temps

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fry_lover

Fred and the Fredettes
Reaction score
Okay, this gonna make me sound like a newbie to fish-keeping who has just gone out and purchased their first ever fish but.....

I normally run my tanks at about 80-81F, not really by design but that just seems to be how they always end up. But i currently have one tank running at 77F on the thermometre, and when i had my hands in there tonight, it just felt a little "cold", so i tried with x3 thermometers at various parts of the tank and the results were 77,77 and 78

Heat from the lighting isnt the issue, as in this tank temp stays same, and i only have the lights on a few hours each day anyway

Question being, it feels "cold" to me coz its 77F and not 80-81F and i always seem to have my hands in my tanks for one reason or another, so i notice the difference in temp quite easily (quite useful as normally i can easily guess a tanks temp to within 1 or 2 F)

What do peeps feel is the optimum temp (i know it makes a difference for some fish like discus)
but is there any particular rule for say these set-ups?

1. North American Cichlid (Convicts, Jade-Eye)

2. Malawi

3. Kribensis

4. Live-bearer (Guppy, Platy, Swordtail)

5. Cory Albino

6. Small Tetras (mine are Rosey Tetras)

If it makes a difference i am not specifically interested in breeding any of my fish at the moment.

I know most peeps seem to advocate a 75-80F type range, but isnt 75F a bit cool (with the exception of Cory Albino?)

Not really looking for a "your fish WONT die at this temp / that temp" kind of answer just wondered what peeps thought was the optimum temp for fish listed and even better.....why?

Cheers Peeps

I personally keep my tank at 78*F. To me, it's just that majic number that keeps it all happy. When for some reason the tank temp lowers to 76 or below, I can obviously tell because my fish will just sort of drift, and not be as active as usual, with an exception to the cories, and when the temp raises to 80 I notice more activity with my silver tips and phantoms and less activity with everything else. So 78 is just good for me and my fish.

For the setups you mentioned, I have no idea of the preferred temps, I've never kept those fish, except tetras, which as you know I keep at 78. I also have hatchetfish, shrimp, snails (pest ones), otocinclus, platies, and kuhlie loaches.

Also, I notice a DEFINATE change in the kuhlie's behavior when the temps change either way. They are ALWAYS less active, in fact, I hardly ever see them, but when the temp is normal they're always out.

This is what I try for-

Large cichlids- 78-80

Flowerhorn- 84

Exodons- 81

Piranhas- 82-83 (Unless fighting then I turn it down to 80 until it subsides)

That's all I can really comment on as it's all I keep for the most part.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back