April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Sgooosh

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
2x Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
hello, I'm wondering what you all use for your fish tanks.
I used to use butcher paper but it was unstable and got wet too easily

I spray painted the back of my tank black (clean glass well first!)....looks great. My boyfriend loved the look, but was afraid to go permanent on his tank, so he just ordered a black background (like the rolled up type you can find at fish stores) from Amazon.

I've seen some crazy cool custom 3d backgrounds...
You can use expanding pond safe foam and rocks along with wood pieces on the back of the tank.
The foam expands and makes it look like a river's edge... You can also cut it easily if necessary.
It can also be removed fairly quickly if I remember right as well...

Another way to do this is by using cut styrofoam and coating it in a lite layer of concrete... But imo it isn't as nice as the foam

I use acrylic paint, from the dollar store. You can get artsy with dark colours, if you have talent. My attempts showed I don't. But acrylic peels off in minutes with a razor blade if you don't like it.

I bought a sheet of heavy cardboard stock and then spray painted it with a flat matte black paint and then I used duct tape to stick it to the back.

My 150 is backed with a cheapo black tablecloth I bought off Amazon. Stuck it on with gorilla tape. It's been on for several years now. :)
there are many of those nylon tablecloths at the dollar store, I think those will work well.
they don't get wet easily and don't crumple easily aswell :)
I bought a sheet of heavy cardboard stock and then spray painted it with a flat matte black paint and then I used duct tape to stick it to the back.
is there a way you can spray it so that the paint will not splatter everywhere?
I've seen some crazy cool custom 3d backgrounds...
You can use expanding pond safe foam and rocks along with wood pieces on the back of the tank.
The foam expands and makes it look like a river's edge... You can also cut it easily if necessary.
It can also be removed fairly quickly if I remember right as well...

Another way to do this is by using cut styrofoam and coating it in a lite layer of concrete... But imo it isn't as nice as the foam
hmm, that's a good idea for a new tank, but i think it will be hard to do this in an established aquarium.
the foam looks really natural! I've seen someone grow a wall of moss out of it too
I use acrylic paint, from the dollar store. You can get artsy with dark colours, if you have talent. My attempts showed I don't. But acrylic peels off in minutes with a razor blade if you don't like it.
It is really hard to move the tank and it is up against a wall so perhaps I will color a board and stick that to the tank.

The easiest, least expensive and frankly mnost effective is black construction paper, taped to the outside back wall or frame. If it does get wet, it is cheap and easy to replace. It brings out the colours of fish and plants, makes the tank space seem larger, and does not cause stress issues for fish as any bright colour/patter can.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back