Fish keep dying on me

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
:eek:
a PH of 9.0 is absolutely WAY too high for tropical fish.
Have u been adding water conditioner to your tap water? and what about bacteria for your filter to get your ammonia/nitrate levels down?
if you havent been adding anything to the water dude itll be the chlorine thats killing your tropicals.
these things take time.. dont add too many fish at a time, we only had 6 very small glowlight tetras to start off in our tank to cycle it,as the ammonia will rocket if you add too many too soon.
Even the best fishkeepers lose fish, make sure you keep upwith waster changes every week say 20 - 20% until the tank has cycled.
Put your coldwater fish somewhere else.

Goodluck!

:thumbs:

Starry^

To give you guys an update, I moved the Shubunkin into his own coldwater tank and he's doing fine in there. I did two 50% water changes in the tank and the Nitrate level has now dropped considerably. I found a product called Proper PH 7.0 and I put the recommended amount into the tank about two weeks ago and have been using it on water changes since. So far the PH has stayed at a constant 7 and I'm checking it regularly.

I've had two Lace Gouramis and three Bronze Cory's in there for about two weeks now and so far they all look good and healthy. I'm considering putting something else in now but I'm not sure what will go well with these fish. I was thinking about a few Male Guppies.

Only other problem I have at the moment is trying to keep Green Algae under control.

If you want to get a nice small fish to take care of the algae try Oto's, a pack of 6 would keep the tank pretty clean, and should mix well with your current residents (Otocinculus, I think that's how you spell it).

Thanks for the info Pufferpack I'll look out for some of those.

One of the Gouramis Died this morning :( It was strange because the fish looked perfectly healthy, he had gone a little pink around the head area but apart from that he seemed fine.

The guy told me in the local fish stockist that I should only feed once every other day in order to keep the Nitrates down. Is that correct or am I starving my fish?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back