Fish Bowl

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

McCool

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Okay, well technically it's a plant bowl right now. A 10 gallon plant bowl. 
wink.png

A few months back I came across this huge bowl at a home decor place, and naturally my initial reaction was "how can I use this as an aquarium?" After my first attempt failed, I'm embarrassed to say I let the whole thing just sit for about a month. Driftwood, water, plants and all. Well the piece of wood I used stained the water terribly, all my plants bit the dust, and the water was something I don't really care to describe. But I decided to empty the thing and give it a good scrub a couple days ago, and made a trip to the not so local LFS to see what sort of plants I could throw in. I just finished it about an hour ago, and although I'm no where near happy with it, I thought i'd share to see if anyone had any ideas for it. I don't even know if I plan on actually putting anything in it since it can't be heated, maybe some shrimp if nothing else (although if anyone has suggestions I'd love to hear them.) I plan on taking the wood out and replacing it with... ??? , and it needs some shorter plants for sure. Half of the ones in now actually belong to a friend, and I'm just holding onto them until she can get set up, so they were pretty much just thrown wherever. Anyways, here are a couple pictures. Please excuse the quality!

Before:

After:

So, any ideas on what to do with it? What I did with it tonight was more "I need to get these plants out of the bag" than anything! The bowl does make everything look distorted, but thought I'd just mess around with it!

I actually really like it. And I think the plants are perfect for height variation. I really wouldn't change them. Why don't you do a betta? A gorgeous betta would love all that swim space.

I love planted bowls!  Especially when they are nice and large.  If the bowl actually holds around the 10 gallon mark, I don't see a reason it can not be heated and used as a betta tank.  You would just have to get something to cover the top like a piece of acrylic or craft mesh.

Bubble.Guppy said:
I was thinking a betta as well!

I'll have to keep my eye out for a nice one! I've been debating on whether or not I wanted another one, but since I have the space... 
fish.gif

Wildbetta said:
I love planted bowls!  Especially when they are nice and large.  If the bowl actually holds around the 10 gallon mark, I don't see a reason it can not be heated and used as a betta tank.  You would just have to get something to cover the top like a piece of acrylic or craft mesh.

When I originally filled it up it came to around 11.5 gallons when filled to the very top I believe. So should be around 9 or 10 with where the water level is at, or at least close to it! I'm really not sure how to get a heater on it, since the sides are so curved? I guess if I put it low enough it wouldn't be a problem. Hadn't even really considered it. 

AmtotheBurr said:
I actually really like it. And I think the plants are perfect for height variation. I really wouldn't change them. Why don't you do a betta? A gorgeous betta would love all that swim space.

I might leave them for a while, but I tend to mess with my tanks constantly 
tongue2.gif
 A betta would be something to think about. I really wasn't sure I wanted another one, but it would look nice in here! 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back