Fish babies

Guppy Mad

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Does anyone know once a fish has gave birth if the babies can mate with each other (there brothers and sisters) or not will there be a problem in which the genes need to be different etc or will they be ok please help.
Does anyone know or have babies and let them breed with there own brothers and sisters and the babies are ok or not.
So does anyone know please help.

:rolleyes: guppy mad, no it doesnt matter if guppies breed with eachother in the "Inbred" sense. It has been fine for me. I suppose it cant be doing much good for the genes etc, but im fine with what my little inbreeders have produced.. Lovely jubbly guppies... All very very close to eachother! :shifty: -_-

spanky_pp_ said:
:rolleyes: guppy mad, no it doesnt matter if guppies breed with eachother in the "Inbred" sense. It has been fine for me. I suppose it cant be doing much good for the genes etc, but im fine with what my little inbreeders have produced.. Lovely jubbly guppies... All very very close to eachother! :shifty: -_-
Thanks for your help i just wasnt to sure so you have let your baby fish breed with there brothers and sisters and nothing has happened to them but how far have you let them breed with there own brothers and sisters do you keep the babies and just let them breed with each other asll the time hope that made sence :unsure: ???
Thanks for your help.

theyr is no mutation just turnin back to
colorless wild cousins and that takes years of in breeding

haaris said:
theyr is no mutation just turnin back to
colorless wild cousins and that takes years of in breeding
Thanks for the help but how do you know they will lose there colour i know they are fed on a food that gives them colour but mine have mated for ages and the babies have all got colour and the females have got more colour than i have ever seen before well (most anyway)

They shouldn't be mutated they arent like humans i did it with hamsters and they were fine.

Jon

well i dont know about hamsters :huh:
ive read it takes about 4-5 years of 'free'
lin breeding for that to happen
by free i mean letting them breed freely
but if you like me keep the males separate
from the males from females and select good
pairsto breed wich will make better strains
ive read if you do this and occasionally add
a guppy from out sidethe line they wont lose
thier colour

Most reactions