Fish And Temperature Changes

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Of course science is not infallible, that's one of its key tenets and what seperates it from religion.  Scientists are constantly trying to improve and correct the work of those who went before, as the famous saying goes, "standing on the shoulders of giants".

I don't follow that this can be used as justification to counter science with anecdotes or opinion.

Gut-feeling is an important weapon in an experienced fishkeeper's arsenal (I say as a complete newbie!) but it should not be overestimated.  Look at the fishkeeping practices from 30-40 years ago compared to now.  They had gut feeling back then too, but they followed the commonly accepted practices of the day which we often wouldn't agree with now.  Progress and improvement comes from science, not gut instinct. 

There are instances of bad science.  A lot of it doesn't even make it past peer review and much of it will get debunked in due time by further research.  You can get some indication of the quality of a piece of research by scrutiny of their methods, citations, supporting evidence etc.  Of course that doesn't necessarily make it definitive truth but it's all pieces to the puzzle.  That's part of what I thought the scientific section is about, dissecting research papers and determining the quality of evidence that has been presented.

The rules of the scientific section are fairly clear on this:
Claims/ideas/theories must be backed up by some semblance of evidence, that includes topics that may be controversial. Evidence has to be cited
And the article on how to discuss:
Prior to participating in a topic of your scientific interest, try to be very well read on the issue.
Science asks for empirical evidence. Do not accept an argument without it.

It is perfectly valid to discuss fishkeeping using anecdotal evidence, opinions and theories and there are more than 50 other forums on this website where you can do that.  I'm not sure what the point of having a scientific section is if every discussion is allowed to turn into a science vs. opinions free-for-all.

Due to the size I can acclimate something safely over the course of 4 hours. This is required for things like tunicates, sea stars.........cucumbers........

Now on a side note I use the plop and drop method for any cucumbers I buy 
tongue2.gif
 They don't last longer than 2-3 hrs once added to the tank.  I have a strong reason to believe this is due to enviromental stress caused by a big munching mouth dominating the tank
biggrin.png

And on a more serious note, let's make up a situation where acclimation is needed and collectively decide what is the best approach.

I hope you don't mind Tcamos, but I'll use your list as a reference. So imagine all of us just received the following order:
  • Type of fish-Clown loaches. Diet: carnivorous. Temperatures between 24-30C(75-86F), Ph: 5-7
  • Size of specimen- average 1"(2.5cm)
  • Age of specimen-7 months to a year
  • Sex of the specimen- random mixed group, sex unknown
  • Overall health of specimen-no physical damage visible, look ok but very pale
  • When did the fish last defecate (did he go in the bag)-there seems to be  some poop inside the bags
  • Number of fish in bag-2xbags, 4 specimens in each. Each bag is doubled to avoid puncture from clown loaches spines.
  • Size of each bag-5L(1.3G)
  • Type of bag (gas permeable or not)-normal plastic bags, placed inside a styrofoam box with a heat bottle and insulated with additional paper.
  • Quantity of water in bag-2L(0.5G) water in each bag
  • Quality of water in bag (ro, tap, pond, stream, lake, treated etc.)-mixed hard tap and ro, untreated
  • Parameters of the water in the bag:
ammonia-1.5ppm
nitrite-0
nitrAte-20ppm
TDS-140ppm
Ph-6.9
Gh-8 dGH
temperature-20C(68F)

• Environmental conditions prior to being placed in the bag -scooped and dropped straight in the bag, but possibly good conditions prior with no history of sickness. Came from a fry outgrow tank, so fed the day prior to shipment.
  • Distance shipped-24hrs, across the country
  • Method shipped (truck, train, jet)-truck
  • Handling while being shipped (was care taken was the box treated well etc.)-box fell a few times and handed by the delivery guy upside down., slight dent to the side of the box.
The target tank to which the fish should be acclimated has the following readings:

ammonia-0
nitrIte-0
nitrAte-20ppm
TDS-270ppm
Ph-7.8
Gh-16 dGH
temperature-26C(78.8F)

snazy said:
Due to the size I can acclimate something safely over the course of 4 hours. This is required for things like tunicates, sea stars.........cucumbers........

Now on a side note I use the plop and drop method for any cucumbers I buy 
tongue2.gif
 They don't last longer than 2-3 hrs once added to the tank.  I have a strong reason to believe this is due to enviromental stress caused by a big munching mouth dominating the tank
biggrin.png
You are so funny! To be clear...
I have 1 of these
seapple.jpg
4 of these
yellowcucumber.jpg
and exactly none of these
cucumbers.jpg

I do agree with the idea of coming to a basic conclusion. As I said in the other thread for marine fish you can't really plop and drop but when it comes to my FW fish I've always practiced a quicker acclimation process than not so I'm really in the plop and drop camp as long as we understand that it might not be for every fish and every circumstance.

Thanks Daize for pointing out the scientific section rules - I honestly did not realise they existed! On the couple of occasions I've wandered in there it has been as a result of a thread heading rather than the desire to read something scientific.
Just to reiterate, I don't have a problem with science even with all its flaws and I'm more than happy to be told I'm not doing something I should or vice versa, however there are ways of doing that without charging about like a bull in a china shop.
The saying goes You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.
Lead us to the water by all means TTA, but don't try to force us to drink is all I'm saying.

Gut-feeling is an important weapon in an experienced fishkeeper's arsenal (I say as a complete newbie!) but it should not be overestimated. Look at the fishkeeping practices from 30-40 years ago compared to now. They had gut feeling back then too, but they followed the commonly accepted practices of the day which we often wouldn't agree with now. Progress and improvement comes from science, not gut instinct.

I agree Daize, the gut-feeling and practice way back when was right for that time, just as in medicine things progress. It doesn't necessarily mean that what went before was wrong, just that something better has been discovered and I think we should be aiming for a healthy mixture of the 2 approaches.
But for me if it came to having to make a choice, (in a given situation with my own fish and tanks), between research and gut-feeling I'd go with my gut every time.
EDIT: It could be argued that it is gut instinct that pushes us into looking for another way (research) when one way clearly isn't working or ceases to work.

Thanks for the link, tcamos that is an interesting piece of work! I will no doubt be referring to it again on many occasions.

@mama - you're welcome.

@snazy - your example really illustrates my point which was: there are so many variables that it's difficult for the average aquarist to quantify them all in order to decide upon the very best method for that fish.

I am not willing to accept what either Tcasmos nor Donya is saying about science.

But you all want to turn this into an absolute fact thing. I would be foolish to make that sort of an an argument.

I linked to the description of the scientific method which clearly indicates that science has and will always rewrite itself. The facts are always those which are the best we have at the time. When one talks about new science replacing old, what is the point if neither can be used in any practical way?

I gave some great examples of how one can use some of the information in the temp study. I asked a few people to comment on how I indicated one could use it, what I think can be done with some of it in relation to the hobby and I asked for anybody to comment on the observations I made about how such science could used. No reply.

But I am going to do this the way you all say is advisable.

Tcamos you state that the age of the fish in the bag make a difference to acclimation. Pick and species you like and tell me what the difference would be if that fish wre one year old or 2 years old vs thee years old, What does the addition of one year more or less mean relative to how it should be treated at both ends of the shipping process. Prove to me that what you say is true in how. You stated "Sex of the specimen (in some species the males are more hardy and others the females)" how do you know this? How much hardier, what conditions kill the female vs the males? I say you are wrong in this. Sex has no effect at all. Which one of us is correct? For any given species you wish to select to show this can be true, I will simply say no it is not- an nothing I have ever done in my 20 tank fishroom over the last 13 years shows that sex matters in terms of hardiness.

How are you going to show you are likely correct and I am not, if it isn't scientifically based? We can start a war of anecdotal evidence I suppose. But even if you come up with a few dozen studies which indicate this is strongly the case and that most biologist believe it to be true based on that research, if all I need to do to dismiss what you and they have said is that future research might come along to supplant this so I can ignore what you and science are saying. I have no way of knowing if it will or if it wont. But I can use this as a argument as a cop out, And this is exactly what Donya has advised me to do. Ignore the best info science has to offer at the time in favor of something that sounds good. And lord help us if an ardent feminist hears you say that females are weaker than males.

Please bear with me while I quote from the page about this subject I linked-
I. The scientific method has four steps
1. Observation and description of a phenomenon or group of phenomena.
2. Formulation of an hypothesis to explain the phenomena. In physics, the hypothesis often takes the form of a causal mechanism or a mathematical relation.
3. Use of the hypothesis to predict the existence of other phenomena, or to predict quantitatively the results of new observations.
4. Performance of experimental tests of the predictions by several independent experimenters and properly performed experiments.

If the experiments bear out the hypothesis it may come to be regarded as a theory or law of nature (more on the concepts of hypothesis, model, theory and law below). If the experiments do not bear out the hypothesis, it must be rejected or modified. What is key in the description of the scientific method just given is the predictive power (the ability to get more out of the theory than you put in; see Barrow, 1991) of the hypothesis or theory, as tested by experiment. It is often said in science that theories can never be proved, only disproved. There is always the possibility that a new observation or a new experiment will conflict with a long-standing theory.

The next part of the scientific method that is essential, as noted by Donya and a few others, and which I have known myself since my early days as a Psych major is that  experimental design improves in quality the more uncontrolled variables the design can eliminate. For example, if researchers want to know what level of NH3 is toxic to all tropical fish and what level they can survive for some time, they need to conduct experiments which insure that is what is being measured/tested and only that

In simple terms- lets look at cycling a tank with fish where no water changes will be done so and the fish die over the course of the process. But there were five fish and they died days apart. The first fish died on day 4, the next one on day 10  the third one on day 17 and the last one on day 27. Now in this example we were fortunate enough to keep numbers for ammonia and nitrite and nitrogen
Day 4 ammonia 1.5 ppm  Nitrite 0
Day 7 ammonia 3.0 ppm Nitrite 0
Day 10 ammonia 1.0 Nitrite 0
Day 14 Ammonia .5 Nitrite 1.5
Day 17 Ammonia 0 Nitrite 3.0
Day 23 Ammonia 0 Nitrite 5.0
Day 27 Ammonia 0 Nitrite 1.7

What killed the fish each time and how does one know. It is not a leap to say ammonia killed the first two- this would make sense using the method described by Donya that he best explanation is the one that makes the most sense and it would also be borne out by the science. But it can only really make sense if we are as sure as is possible that there was nothing else in the water that could have been involved in the death beside the ammonia. But as soon as nitrite begins to appear there are now two variables at work, neither is controlled so there is now no way to know what is killing the next few fish. Did the ammonia do it by damaging the fish so badly it was on its way out even had the nitrite not appeared. Did it died because the ammonia weakened it so that it could not handle a level of nitrite that otherwise would not have killed iton its own, or were these fish simply more resistant to ammonia than to nitrite? How can any of these questions be answered with any degree of certainty? How can we find if it was even ammonia that killed all the fish?

The scientific method tells us how to find the best answer to the question we can at this time. What one must one do to be able to get an answer regarding whether ammonia killed the fish is to design a method to test for it. If we want to test the effects of ammonia we need to insure that ammonia is the only variable. The researcher needs to make a best effort to insure there is nothing more than ammonia present. All of this can be tested. The researcher can measure the amount of ammonia present and can test to be sure there is 0 nitrite present. If it is not possible to do this, then it is not possible to know with any degree of certainty what killed the fish.

So curious scientists knowing ammonia is toxic to fish at some level set out to determine what levels that might be. They design experiments intended to place fish in "tanks" with controlled levels of ammonia. Ideally every tank will be identical in every aspect but how much ammonia is present. All will have the same temp., the same pH, the same kH the same water source etc. etc. All possible efforts will be made to insure there is minimal to no potential for contamination.

And then the "fun" begins. They test varying levels of ammonia and various exposure times for each. They can record what happens to the experimental fish. They can autopsy both those that did not die as well as those that did to determine the physiological effects of the ammonia exposure. They can measure gill damage, they can measure the amount of ammonia in the fish brain and  blood.

The issue now is what the researchers do with all this data. There are a couple if pretty solid "facts" that can be stated with as much certainty as science allows. When ammonia levels are 0, ammonia doesn't kill fish. They can also find the number at which 100% of the fish die. I do not think we need research to tell us if we put a fish into a container filled from a bottle of commercial ammonia that it will kill 100% of the fish. What the science should be able to do is to find out at what lower level of ammonia the fish begin to suffer, they can test to see what levels cause what types of harm and where it starts to become fatal.

But this design is worthless if it doesn't result in the ability to predict the effects of varying levels of ammonia on fish. And the answer to that comes from the area of experimental design with which I have had the most experience in years past and which I used in my later career in the world of investments. And that is the science of statistical anaylysis. The purpose of the ammonia experiment is to yield predictive information about the entire population of such fish in general. And now suddenly it has moved out of the realm of chemistry and biology and into the realm of number crunching.

Now we are talking about means and averages, about bell shaped curves and distributional analysis. It involves correlations, limits of confidence, regression analysis all stuff that can make one's head spin. But the goal of it all is to be able to generalize from the sample group in the experiment to the general population. The basic principles here are insuring the sample population is representative of the general population. If the tests above were only perfomed on 3 year old male fish, it is not a group representative of the general population and thus it it not legitimate science to generalize information from the sample population to the general population. What we are talking about here is sampling error and bias.

But after wading through all of this science it really boils down to this. If the sample population ifsrepresentative, if the test methods were enumerated clearly and adhered to, if a number of things that are accepted as being good experimental design were followed, the end result should look something like this. Members of the genus Poecilia are more sensitive to ammonia-n than many other other fish which have been tested. Mortality of 100% of the test subjects occurred at exposure levels of .12 ppm of NH3-N after an exposure time of 63 minutes. No lasting effects were observed until levels exceeded .015 ppm even when exposure time was 30 days (the limit of this experiment). Of course I am making up the numbers for the purposes of this discussion, but in a lab they would be measured exactly with lab grade test equipment. The LC96 level where 50% of the test subjects died was .09 ppm. So exactly what use is this research, what can be done with it, how can it be confirmed?

The answer is other scientists should be able to replicate the research, if they use the same representative sample, the same methods etc. they should get pretty much the same results. I say pretty much because we are talking statistically similar vs identical. The second experiment may come up with results that find the onset of damage was at .0147 while another set of researchers doing the same thing get .0152. If the statistical analysis of the results of all three studies doing the same thing show they are identical within a 2.5% limit of confidence, the results of the two subsequent studies have confirmed/replicated the results from the first. The odds improve that the results and the ability to use them to predict the effect of ammonia levels on guppys represent the best info we have today, how can we ignore it?

The research should allow us to use the experimental results as long as new science has not come along and done new experiments that produce statistically significant results which differ from what is known to date and which challenge the conclusions of the currently accepted parameter information for the effect of ammonia levels on Poecilia. Until this occurs, fish keepers are best served by knowing that certain low level ammonia readings in their guppy tank, those which are underthe range of between .0147 and .0152 ppm, are very likely to be "safe" and therefore there is no immediate need for action. We have a good idea that this level should be safe for almost all, but not necessarily 100% of guppies. Some will fall at the outer ends of the bell shaped curve, they fall 2 standard deviations from the mean.

Now having read all three of the above studies I come here and find a post about this topic. The poster reports they have an ammonia reading on their API kit of .25 ppm of ammonia and the pH of the tank is 7.8. and the temp is 77 F (25 C). The next posted then states, you must do at least a 50% water change ASAP because that level of ammonia will definitely  harm or kill guppies. Then  I come along and read this and I ask myself, is that right. Will that level of ammonia harm or kill guppies. So the first thing I do it use the science to determine how much of a .25 ppm reading for total ammonia is actually ammonia-n as NH3. I need to do this to make the OPs numbers and those used by reserchers equate since they are using different scales- I have to compensate for the use of different scales and methods.

The science tells us that the API type kit measures total ions not just the -n ones, so the first step is to convert the .25 ppm total ion reading to an ammoinia-n ion only reading. Using the science I multiply the .25 by .8 (accept that I am using the right factor here) and I now know there is .2 ppm total ammonia-n. On to the next step. Most of that .2 ppm is ammonium not ammonia. So we need to determine how much of that total .2 ppm is actually NH3. And there is more science for that. At a pH of 7.8 and a temp of 77 F (25 C) there is .009 ppm of NH3-n. All of this is based on formulas that science has provided. The formulas I used to get from the OP's original test reading to numbers we can use in relation to the science always yield the same numbers no matter how many times one does the calculations. This is science- the formulas are only usefull if they give the same answer every time.

So now what I have are two distinct pieces of information. On the one hand I have three studies which investigated ammonia levels on guppies. I know that two subsequent studies by different researchers obtained the same results (statistically speaking). What their very stringent research showed in all three experiments was that .009 ppm of NH3-n is not a big enough dose to cause harm. I also am reasonaly certain (assuming the OP had accurate readings) that their ammonia level should not harm their fish. Do I know 100% for sure? No, bBut the odds strongly indicate this is the case. The odds any given guppy will die at that level of exposure are extremely small. If you understand statistics you know the odds are 1.25 in 100 that the ammonia will harm the fish. Pm;y One half of the 2.5% is a bad outcome, the other half is a good one and that cuts the numbers for harm in half.

So on the one hand I have all that science, which I know might be revised down the road due to "better" experimental results. But I do not have a time machine so I can't get down the road and find out. I have to make a decision now using the most accurate and up to date information at this time. So I post that the science shows us that the level of ammonia in the OP's tank is likely not a concern for the moment and try to explain why because this is what the best science we have today indicates.

We now have two competing pieces of advice being given to the OP. Somebody else has simply stated do a big water change as any level of ammonia is harmful to guppies and I have given an answer based on all that scientific study. If we listen to Donya, the OP should decide what to do based on whether what I have said or what the other person said makes the most sense to them. Nothing factual matters beyond what sound good?
sad2.gif
???

But this poor poster has had their tank for for only a few months, its barely cycled. He has never heard of NH3 vs NH4, he has no idea that pH can determine the toxicity for any level of total ammonia. All of this information boggles their mind, but the advice of the other poster sounds the best because it is easier to understand. So that is the the one that is believed by the OP. And then all that other responder has to write is its better to be safe than sorry and all the science goes out the window. Because of the research studies which show results are good to within a certainty of 2.5% which means that if 100 guppys go into water with .009 ppm of NH3-n the odds are that 97.5 of them will not suffer any ill effect. It is not 100% however.

So now let me change course here and bring it down to a more personal level. you go to your doctor who reveals you have a condition which research shows is not a problem for 97.5% of the people who have it. However 2.5% of people who do have it experience complications and could become very ill and half of those die as a result. He then tells you that the best procedures available today have a 50% success rate so far and that the dangers of the procedure have caused 1.5% of those who undergo to died during the procedure. He advises you, in his opinion, that the best course of action is to do nothing at this time. What will you do? Being upset you go home and go to a website where this condition is discussed. Some poster states they had the condition and the procedure and that its not bad and it worked for him and three other people he knows who also underwent it and it helped them too. Because it didn't kill any of them them and it corrected the condition for all of them he kmows not only will it not kill you but it will certainly fix the condition. They further tell you that they do not know anybody for whom the procedure failed to fix the condition. Nor does he know anybody who died while having it.

What are the odds that either the doctor or the unknown poster is correct. Because you are going to have to make a decision what to do. The unknown poster who you have idea who they are, how or what they might know or the doctor with the research? Or the doctor whose data/information might be replaced with better information sometime in the future. The doctor says the odds are only 1 in 78, based on the best research to date, that the condition will kill you if its left untreated. So you must decide if that risk justifies the risk of having the procedure. The odds the doctor stated that 1/2 the people get no benefit from the procedure at all and that 1.5% die from it vs. the odds the no-name poster has stated that it works 100% of the time and that nobody dies.

If you decide based on what I believe is the value of scientific research, then you are going to do nothing. If you follow Donya's advice, you will probably listen to the poster. His info sounds good and you can not escape a personal bias that you do not want to have even a 1 in 78 chance of dying here plus and you would like to believe my condition can be "cured". Besides that all the complicated terms the doctor used confused you but you can understand what the no-name poster is saying very easilymd it sure sounds good.

I wonder what any of you would decide to do in light of the above- are you going to have the procedure or are you going to choose to live with the condition? Are you going to rely on the best science available or are you going to rely on anecdotal evidence? After all, the no-name poster sure sounds confident and what he says appears to make sense.  So do you make an appointment for the procedure or not based on the information offered?

I know what I would do and I know why. I will go with the best science currently available and not with the anecdotal evidence. And I also believe the same rationale that would drive me to decide against having the procedure were it me can be applied just as well for arriving at a decision about what to do in that guppy tank.

Does any of this absolutely guarantee the outcome in every instance? No it doesn't. Could the numbers change down the road due to new information and research? Yes they can. Despite all of this I need to make a decision. I need to know to the greatest extent possible that  my decision has the highest probability of being correct.

In a nutshell that is why I rely on the science, because at any given time it is the best information we have and it also seems to have reliable predictive value.

So I am going to stick with the best science available rather than the what ever sound sounds best method recommended by Donya.

As far as mama 's post above is concerned she has actually proved my point, perhaps better than I have ever done. She says she is going to make decisions based on science:

" I look at the methodology and decide if that sounds reasonable." So you are looking at science not anecdotal information.
I look at the methodology and decide if that sounds reasonable.' So you are looking at the science and trying te find the most accurate and up to date data.
"I shun conclusions that say they have "proved" a hypothesis or even a null hypothesis as that in my opinion is impossible." You looked as that science and you determined is was not good, that there was better science avalable.
"I read other research on the same subject and see what their conclusions say"

So far all I am seeing here is: I look at the science, I look at the science,I look at the science. And then I see "at the end of the day I take the very unscientific approach and decide by what feels right" but I would argue your approach was not in the least bit an unscientific approach. You relied on the science to show you all the options, you used your knowledge of scientific research to determine what course you would follow. The one thing you did not state is that you decided to follow the information provided by some no name on a forum site. You did not say you looked at magic spells, you did not say you consulted a religious cleric. You did not say you just tossed a coin to decide. You looked at all the available science and based on that you chose what you believed were the 'best" scientific results to guide your decision. But the key here is scientific results.

What I really wonder is had mama never looked at any of the science, if she had never seen one single piece of research- either what she accepted or rejected' could she possibly reached the decisions she did? How could one eve weigh alternatives they did not even know exist?

But let me offer you this. The theory of gravity, or law if you prefer, tells us that every time you step off that tall building the result will be kersplatt. But since we can not prove this is a certainty short of having 100% of the poplulation of the planet since the first human stood upright (they of course needed cliffs or tall trees from which to jump) and every human who will be born also must jump, it is impossible to say for sure 100% of the people who jump go kersplatt. In light of this I am going to offer you a bet. I will bet you $1,250,000 against one penny that if you step off the building you will fall. Please leave the penny next to my cash on the roof. If you fall I will pick up my money and your penny. If you don't fall, when you come back onto the roof, take your penny and my money and go home.

I am offering you odds of $125,000,000 to 1. Not good enough? My buddy Bill Gates just called and said he would be willing to bet 1 billion to your penny thay you kersplatt. Heck that is 100 billion to one odds. Will you take the bet based on the idea that eventually new science might come along an repeal the laws of gravity?  And if there is no amount of odds you would accept? The law of gravity says that every time you step off the build you will kersplatt absolutely, no doubt if 100% its a proven fact.  But then I remember your writing" I shun conclusions that say they have "proved" a hypothesis" So shun the law of gravity and take the bet?

This is a silly example, of course. But there is a more real life example of many people acting against their own best interest despite knowing the odds/sciencw. Its called the lottery. The science tells us the odds of winning are often they are in the 100s of  millions to one range. Yet how many lottery tickets get sold every day? Why do folks waste their money then? Because the idea of winning sounds so good it makes them abandon all reason and plunk there money down anyway in defiance of the science. And they do this every week over and over. The science tells us not to buy, our hearts tell us to buy. But the fact is not buying will always be the best choice even though somebody has to win it. Dang science.

As for the example of the scientist and the forum story above. There are how many 100,000s of scientist the world over doing research into many many subjects. there are tons of scientific studies being conducted as well. Now you cite one example of one scientist on one subject and this means that all the work of those other folks is clearly not to be trusted or used because of this fact. Now had you said there were 1,000s of scientists all across the world where this had happened and that is is happening in significant numbers still, it would have some real meaning. So if i can find a physicist who says we need more research into gravity because there are some unanswered questions that now you will take the bet?

So here is my conclusion. you folks and I disagree very strongly on this topic. I am not going to abandon the best information available at the time simply because it is an imperefect method until something better and more reliable comes along. Since the mods, at least tcamos and Donya, feel so strongly about this, I see absolutely no  point in bringing up science any further on this site and will refrain 100% from doing so. However. what I will do is when I see somebody state something as fact here, such as when somebody says that the bacteria die off at the rate of 10% a day, I will merely say can you offer any proof that this is the case and then leave it at that.

If nothing else if should force some posters to have to justify what they have stated to those people who feel more than just saying it is needed to show it might be the case.

So let me start with Tcamos and what he stated above

"Method shipped (truck, train, jet)" If the time in transit is the same, if the box has either heat or cold packs to maintain temp, if the boxes are all packed the same, how does train vs truck vs plane cause a difference? And how do you know this is the case?

"Type of bag (gas permeable or not)" Why does this matter, what are the differences between how it affects bag water in either case. If one method is better than the other, even if its just for specific species, what is the difference, why and how do you know?"

From now on I am Mr. Ignorant and I will need to know.

TwoTankAmin said:
"Method shipped (truck, train, jet)" If the time in transit is the same, if the box has either heat or cold packs to maintain temp, if the boxes are all packed the same, how does train vs truck vs plane cause a difference? And how do you know this is the case?

"Type of bag (gas permeable or not)" Why does this matter, what are the differences between how it affects bag water in either case. If one method is better than the other, even if its just for specific species, what is the difference, why and how do you know?"
Method goes to stress level due to handling and time in transport. Truck deliveries are always moving boxes around throughout the day as they deliver their packages. Jets load them and leave them until drop off, then they go to trucks. How do we know this is the case? We don't...and that's my main point.

Type of bag matters as it effects oxygen levels in the bag which has an effect on other parameters as well. What does it matter and how do we know? Again, we don't, and that is my main point.

As an aquarist I can make some educated guesses and even use my experience to simply look at the fish and realize it's in distress and make a choice on how to acclimate. But when we are talking a definitive scientific method of determining I'm saying there are so many variables that it makes the science too complex for the average aquarist to use.

In the other thread I mentioned the OldMan fish death which he attributed to acclimation. It was pointed out (by me first) that this was anecdotal and not scientific. My point here is that to take his event and translate it from anecdotal to scientific is a Gordian knot.

For the record...what is it you percieve donya and I as saying about science?

It's a miracle! It seems I have suddenly metamorphed from an unqualified idiot who knows nothing and therefore to be ignored, to a paragon of virtue being paraded as proof of the research-knows-best theory! Amazing transformation - maybe it IS magic!
Sorry mods and all, but it had to be said.

For me the key to this discussion regarding temperature acclimation is that in order for it to be truly useful for the aquarist, we have to extrapolate these findings to fish living in other geographic regions.  North American fish experience very different conditions, including temperature variance than say, South American Amazonian fish.  Certainly they go through temperature variations, but not to the same extent, and so their physiological responses may be very different.

So, where does that leave us?  Another group (or even this same group) would need to test South American fish, and African fish, and Australian fish.  The biggest issue for me is that these fish that were being discussed, as far as I could tell are largely, if not completely, non-tropicals, but rather from temperate waters.  So, at least we should hope for a study on TROPICAL fish and their physiology with temperature change.  I don't know that any such study on tropical fish has been done, but I would be very interested to read it.

And for me it comes down to a question of do you put more stock in an extrapolation from temperate fish to tropical fish regarding the best practice, or do you put more stock in the tried methods of drip acclimation with these specific species, or at least geographically similar fish.

Of course, we could get into the ethics of these investigations, but I'd rather not derail this from the discussion at hand.

But the problem becomes if you look at the fish from the Amazon in SA the data will be much better than for the NA fish. By better I mean they can handle bigger swings
in temperature with any ill effect.

Ask anybody who spawns Hypancistrus how they trigger them and you are going to get back that one of the things is a large rapid temperature drop in combination with some other things. It is not uncommon to initiate the onset of the rainy season in a tank that is running at about 86 F (30C). Step one is to unplug the heater. the final step is the return of water to the tank after removing 50%. Typically that water going in will be in the low 70s tempwise and will also be 100% ro/ )or ro/di) which is also intended to lower the TDS by a good amount. The goal is to get the tank to drop 10 or more degrees fairly fast.

The process will be repeated over the next few days to hold the temp and tds down for a bit. the the heater gets plugged back in and the temp is allowed to drift back into the low 80s.

And this sort of parameter swing is not happening for only the Hypans, it is happening for the discus, the angels, the kilies, the tetras, the cories etc. many folks who spawn the SA fish use similar techniques.

Anywhere in the world that fresh water fish live where there are such seasonal differences will also be subjected to these sort of swings every year as long as there is no drought etc. So now I wonder if they are genetically adapted to handle such swings? if the answer is yes, then I wonder if this quality stays with them as tank raised generation begats the next. Do such fish which have never been in the wild retain the ability to handle rapid swings temp and TDS?

And if they do, would this mean that they are also would require less acclimation than other fish? Does it mean that the rate of temp. change they can handle is significantly different than their N. American counterparts? And then if the answer is yes, what is the physiological/biological explanation that makes this possible? I have no clue, I am ignorant. can you please explain it to me?

TTA, why do you keep using the terms "no name" poster as a negative?
Many or those no name posters maybe a current or a future scientist whom you maybe praising under a different name now or possibly in the future. Many "members" appearing normal and not important to you because they have no name, or a name you want to know, may have dealt and have access to facilities and tests most of us will never even imagine, or have experience and knowledge some of us can never comprehand. But they prefer to be no names.
Internet is a big world.

You seem to say you are experienced in analyzing data. Without going into details and although it has nothing to do with fish keeping, I have done more than I'd would have ever liked to do in my life. I had a job analyzing mainly company and employee's performance based on tons of raw data, find the weak points,  find a way how to improve them, find a way to prevent them, find the good points, make them stand out, propose action, take action, follow up, etc..
In order to do that, you have your army of helpers(no nameres as you call them) under your supervision who work for you to analyze the data. However, the name that stands on the final results is yours, because it is your decisions, your conclusions and your plan of action, and subsequently your fault if there's no satisfaction. So your research and analysis and the desired outcome pretty much depend on what's needed to achieve the satisfaction of the ones that are paying you to do it, and what they want.

Much of the analytical projects are targeted and oriented towards proving one or another thing. So for example you are told to find the pin in the ocean, but you know there maybe no pin in this ocean. No one knows what is the truth but everyone would love to find the magical pin in their ocean of data.  So if in the process of your quest for the magical pin you stumble across an object that is pretty much identical to that magical pin, although may not be real pin, then everyone is pretty much happy and is truly inclined to believe this is the true pin, regardless of the truth. It's the best pin ever found anyway and the demand for finding the magical pin has been achieved.  So the actual research is sometimes irrelevant as long as it is done in a way to come to the target as close as possible, with an allowed margin for error, even if it isn't the 100% you hoped for.
 And if in the process of researching for the magical pin, you happen to find thousands of magical buttons no one has ever seen before it doesn't matter, because no one wants "buttons" at this point of time....
Now it remains for someone else to invest the same amount of knowledge, effort, recourses and money to prove you wrong..That may take so much time and it's so hard to achieve if the initial "quest for pin" was done with minimal error, that you may die with a sign on your grave "The founder of the magical pin" and it will take another life time to add: "The founder of the magical pin that doesn't exist."

Therefore based on that, I am much more inclined to believe the conclusions of a research without target, such as being a fish keeper hobbyist for example. Some hobbyist have access to the tools the professional "researchers" have too.
The difference between the two types of research is that one is paid to find the magical pin where they think it should be found, the other one falls off the main path by accident and stumbles across the true magical pin without even searching for it.  But no one believes him now, because he has "no name" and he found the pin while walking the wrong path, where it has been proven that pins don't exist...So he keeps the true magical pin for himself.

I hope I didn't bore you too much talking cryptic. Just skip further
tongue2.gif

Do such fish which have never been in the wild retain the ability to handle rapid swings temp and TDS?

I would think that just because a fish bred and kept in aquarium for 50 years won't make much difference to the way it's physiological body has evolved to live for thousands of years. And TDS is a collective measure. Depending on what changes it, stress maybe or may not be involved. You can be plop and dropping a fish because the TDS of the water it came with is the same as the target tank, but the measure in one maybe caused by let's say calcium and magnesium, the other maybe caused by excessive nitrates, ferts, etc...So in reality the parameters are totally different. But what can we do, science and society haven't evolved enough to unable all of us to posess the required tools in order to achieve the desired conclusions with 0 error, so most of us, the really concerned majority, who can't afford the expensive facilities, remain in the dark and easily controlled by the minority.

Most reactions

Back