first saltwater tank setup

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Great news! my clowns are now hosting the anemone! Showed ema piccy and within an hour they were in there too! :cool:
The male was in first and the female just stayed close by but by evening they were both in it! Not easy either cos its only a tiny nenny too!

I did ty the piccy method before but the anemony was not so close to their territory before. After having to strip the tank to catch my powder blue, the anemone is now much closer to where the clowns hang out

if you are still in the process of stocking your tank,
then I would say no, you will not be able to sustain a mandarin.
maybe after a year of copepod reproduction.

even after a year of copepod reproduction the mandarin woulkd get in their and eat them away to nothing and than starve to death.

Leon- U can keep a madarin if u get another 40 pounds of live rock. I would get the rock and wait at least 3 months before purchasing the mandarin and then anothjer month for quarantine.

Navarre said:
As for a Yellow Tang (or any tang for that matter) Im afraid the tank is far too small to keep one. A minimum of 100 gallons is considered to neeed for tangs like Yellows and Purple Tangs. 150 gallons or more for larger tangs like the Naso's ect.
actually navarree here i need to disagree. Yellow and Kole tangs can both be kept in 55 gallon tanks but anything else needs 100 gallons.

I would agree on a kole tang (though they are not as popular as most other tangs) but yellows (and pruples) i feel need far more than 55 gallons. Cosidering how large these grow also warrants more room. and the aggression my purple gives out to its tankmates in 100 gallons is bad enough, in 55 gallons its going to be stressed in its territorial needs. 55 gallons is an accident waiting to happen IMO for yellow/purples

thats what i thought too but i have seen so many successful 55's with yellows so im assuming it is not that hard to keep it.

Navarre said:
I would agree on a kole tang (though they are not as popular as most other tangs) but yellows (and pruples) i feel need far more than 55 gallons. Cosidering how large these grow also warrants more room. and the aggression my purple gives out to its tankmates in 100 gallons is bad enough, in 55 gallons its going to be stressed in its territorial needs. 55 gallons is an accident waiting to happen IMO for yellow/purples
:nod: :nod: :nod:

Yellow tangs are open water swimmers. In their natural environment they swim great distances each day. 55 gal simply is not enough to allow them to mimic their natural behavior.

if u get a 55 gallon long than it is. Ive seen it happen in many successfull tanks.

I am sure a Yellow Tang can be kept in a 55 gallon. But would it really be happy??

My Yellow has to be the most happy go lucky swimmer I have. I would hate to see him in anything smaler than a six foot tank.

GL

I got a 100 gallon 4ft tank. My Achilles and Purple tang take 2 strokes of their pectoral fins to reach the other end. This is whoafully inadequate IMO. The new tank will be 7ft and even wider so much more scope for swimming

Fishy411 said:
if u get a 55 gallon long than it is. Ive seen it happen in many successfull tanks.
I would say this is the equivelant of you living in your bedroom for the rest of your life. You can survive, but would you be happy and healthy?

Depends if i got my Xbox and beer fridge! :p

im not saying that they should be kept in a 55 i am just saying that i have seen it happen and that the fish is healthy and doesnt look huge in the tank. I am not saying that u should but i have seen it.

Navarre said:
I got a 100 gallon 4ft tank. My Achilles and Purple tang take 2 strokes of their pectoral fins to reach the other end. This is whoafully inadequate IMO. The new tank will be 7ft and even wider so much more scope for swimming
would that be like a cube than if it is a 100 gallon 4 ft?

Most reactions

Back